1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep the discussion here focused on the position. There's lots of piss and vinegar for and against it, and that's fine, but this isn't about any one person. Thank ya much.

2. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

I hate to nitpick, especially about such a poorly written incomplete sentence, but shouldn't it be "texting THEIR BFFs" ? And "girlies" is not a real word.

Andy, look, we all wish you tons of luck. I'm going for the one of the local NFL correspondant jobs on the bleacherreport website as well, simply as a way to get my foot in some doors, so I'm not going to project hate in your direction for doing so as well. I just have to tell you that, in this discussion, you haven't come across very well. You seem to be a bit in over your head. So, just relax, take a breath and think before you type. Might serve you well.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you can edit your stuff you submit, please go back in and be sure you spell "correspondent" correctly. Not trying to snark, actually trying to help.

4. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

You're right, Moderator, sorry about that. Like, evidently, many others here, sometimes my passion about conversing about the topic at hand gets in the way of my grammatical and spelling skills.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Slow down.
    Read it over.
    Take a breath
    Slow down
    Read it over again.

Advice that's as solid as it comes!! And free, too. For now.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Come on, Moddy, that's at least 10-buck advice.

Can't be giving away content, you know.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I was one of the original people to be annoyed at those knocking the position, but I'm changing my tune slightly. I think it's a decent deal for some, but I don't like the set-up or the lack of a support structure.

Everything appears to be primarily "do-it-yourself", which is fine. But even in the application process, there doesn't seem to be anything other than a disclaimer that says you'll be paid a certain amount and that you'll need to be in contact with the Bleacher Report/CBSSports.com editors. The submission process, though, is all done by the user. So something doesn't add up. If I can submit stuff and have it posted immediately, then where's the check/balance portion of journalism?

Also, maybe I just have a higher view of my writing, but reading the other entries on the site - even in other sports - makes it come across as a fan blog. If it was like AOL Fanhouse, then that's cool, but it doesn't seem to even be drifting in that direction where it combines fan input with journalism and legitimate columnists.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

As you wish ...

9. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Amen brother - couldn't have said it better myself. Right for some, wrong for most. In a nutshell that is B/R works. If you want to be a journalist - look elsewhere. If you want to be a fanboi - they welcome you with open arms.

10. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Welcome to the new world. No one wants to pay for bad news or derogatory stories. They want people to cheer with them.

11. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

How many beginning journalists or "fanbois" have the opportunity to get paid 400 bucks a week for their writing or, more importantly, obtain NFL credentials?? That is what we seem to be forgetting here. This contest does have some pretty sweet prizes, and that is why some of us are applying.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually, Brian, a lot do. You get hired at a small paper within shouting distance of an NFL team and get the occasional game credential, where you get your feet wet in a big setting. That's how a ton of us got our first sniff of pro or big-time college sports.

The credential isn't a "prize", either. It's a responsibility, and in this case a pretty massive one according to what the ad claims it wants you to do with it. Yet the money makes it almost impossible for anyone but a beginner to take the gig. Some beginners might do a slam-bang job, but I know I sure as hell wasn't ready for a full-time pro beat at a young age. One could argue whether or not it is then productive to take this route and fail miserably, maybe even get axed midway through the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.