1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of this Plaschke gimmick?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 11, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Unprofessional is a pretty strong word.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nowhere near burning the guy at the stake.

3. topsheep

topsheep Member

Plaschke knows about this place. I'd love for him to come here to weigh in, for shits and giggles.

I think we need more of that here, where the big-timers read, for good and for worse, what we journalists say about their work and then chime in.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They don't have hyperbole in your world, do they? I feel like I'm talking to Mork from Ork.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nah, I deal in reality, not stupidity.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Ooooooh .... you burned me!

(Note to Captain Literal: I didn't mean to suggest you had actually caused me to combust. It's just slang the kids often use meaning, "You sure got me there, fella!")

7. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

Derek Fisher is anything but a douche. He is one of the three or four easiest guys to deal with I've encountered in 10 years of locker room interviews. He is always available, accountable and thoughtful. Having to wait for a guy to tie his shoes and get himself ready when you're on deadline sucks, but it's part of the deal. And in Simers' case, you really can't fault a guy for wanting to take every minute he can to clear his head and think about what he's going to say before he starts answering questions. I wasn't there, but I'll bet that after Simers finished, Fisher stayed around and answered every question.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I wasn't there, either, but I will second what you've said. Those of us in NBA circles know Fish to be one of the favorite interviews in the league.

If he was a douche after this particular game -- well, everybody is allowed to be a douche once in their lives.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Late to the party, didn't read the whole four pages.

Spnited, we're fellow curmudgeons in many ways. But I liked this column.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm well aware of Derek Fisher's reputation as an athlete who is easy to deal with.

Which is why I was disappointed he would play this card. "I'm getting DRESSED!!!" is something the jerks usually say. The loss was a tough one to talk about, which is why Fisher was a good choice as Simers' go-to guy for insight.

11. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

He also was beaten badly by Aaron Brooks and that was big reason the Lakers got hammered. So he was an obvious go-to guy for everyone. And everyone else granted the player the respect you would give another human being who's had a bad day at the office.
    I get that Simers' thing is to ask the question no one else wants to ask and that's important. I just don't see why it can't be done without the vitriol. And I don't see why I, or any other reader, should be outraged that the guy didn't jump up to answer the questions on TJ's schedule.
    As a columnist, you certainly want to set the mood, show how the player is taking the loss, but if you badger the guy when he's down and then write about him crying you didn't let him get dressed, you're showing his reaction to you and not his reaction to the game. As my first sports editor told me, "You are there to tell the story, not to be the story."

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good points, gotta.

Fisher is not the douchebag here, Simers is -- as always.

Draft saved Draft deleted