1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. About the only thing this job seems perfect for is a recent college kid, who is from an NFL city and can live with his parents. On a weekly basis, it pays a little bit more than my job, but I live in a tiny ass town with real low cost of living. I couldn't imagine trying to live in Chicago, New York, Miami, etc. on 400 a week. But it is bleacher report, so what they're really looking for is a super fan who can do the work. The ad even says journalism experience preferred but not required.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it is for CBSSports.com as it says on the top line:

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

3. Well i guess it's a tag-team effort then. The link sends you to bleacher report. And candidates will partly be evaluated based on work submitted to BLEACHER REPORT.

4. ...which means they'll be shuffling through applications from the millions of FANS who write on that site. I doubt many journalists do.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If training camp is across the state -- or another state -- that's another strike against.

But at least someone put some thought into this, though it's borderline psycho when you look at the application essays.

6. Moderator1

Well, since you gots a gig already, it isn't an issue for you.
    Unless you are somehow the one shuffling through all those millions of FANS. Somehow I doubt that.
    I suspect they'll end up with 32 folks who are a lot better than you think.
    Anyway, I've said my thoughts on this. I've been around the block for a few years. This is NOT the job for everybody. However, it is a solid gig for many of the young people who are out there seeking work in a very tight job market.

7. Moddy, sounds like you're getting defensive. Don't. I wasn't trying to negate your opinion on the matter. Just trying to state mine. But did you actually take a further look, or are you basing all of this off the brief description posted atop? If you look into it, I think you'll see that they're not exactly looking for trained journalists here. Playthrough is right, the application essays look crazy. It honestly looks like it will be a strike against you if you're not a 'fan' of the team you want to cover. If I had to guess, I'd say this is just a stunt to try and get more writers to their site.

What is your favorite team of all time? What does that have to do with getting a job?

And you're probably right moddy...there probably will be 32 people who apply for this that are pretty talented. Probably more talented than me. But this doesn't look like a job for a trained journalist.

8. Moderator1

I know a little more about it than what is posted.

And, no, not necessarily defensive though I can see how you'd get that impression. I just know what's going on in this market and young people need to look at any opportunity that gets them in some door, which is how MLB was able to get interns without even paying them. A young woman who was an intern in my office at VCU applied for an entry level job that was perfect for her. I put in a call to the hiring manager on her behalf. A job that would normally draw 25-30 applicants like her drew TWO HUNDRED, many with 10 years experience.

The favorite team question may be a way to judge NFL knowledge. If you say the Redskins, well that's one thing. If you say the Doug Williams-led Redskins that won a Super Bowl because yada yada *** it shows you have some familiarity with the league. I don't know, I could be way off base, but it is a possible explanation.

You have a job, so you have some talent. Don't sell yourself short. I'm just trying to be a little encouraging to a lot of frustrated young people who are looking for some in to this crazy business. This could well be it.

9. Fair enough.

And I sold myself short a while ago. I'm off to grad school in a month. Maybe my cynicism towards this profession is coming out on this board. If so, I'm sorry.

This might make me a martyr on this site, but I've spent a lot of time lately trying to convince some old friends of mine that are still in school to stay away. Maybe it's becoming too strong a habit of mine...

10. Moderator1

I'm six days away from 53. Thirty years ago, maybe I look around and do the grad school thing, too. You don't have to apologize for your feelings. You are far from alone and the state of the industry will do that to you.
    But, maybe, just maybe, things will be a lot different when today's 23 year olds are my age?? We can hope.
    Good luck in grad school

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is a decent credible chance for someone to get clips right out of school. It isn't lucrative, but, they aren't asking this person to break news either and write like you are a beat guy.

If I was 1-2 years in biz, I would jump at it. It's real, it's paid, and who knows, if they like your stuff could work out into a fulltime gig.

If this was $600 a week, they would get some really really good applicants. So, it's not that far off the radar. Good entry job, not for the man with a wife, kids, or over the age of 25.

12. nate41

nate41 Member

As a recent grad who's options are sports info, or if I'm lucky, covering high school sports, I'm jumping all over this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.