1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A- Rod Book Tanking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The goofy thing about the Amazon reviews is that they are either a five-star or a one.

Nothing in between.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Oh for 89 on Amazon to be a massive failure. Try being in the upper hundreds of thousands, bordering on the millions.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

For this book, given all the hype and hysteria and the fact that it actually led to ARod's initial steroid admission, 89 down from 61 is not a good thing.

Amazon is a weird thing--I'm pretty sure the difference between 89 and 61 could be a total of 20 books--but it does seem to reflect bursts of public interest.

Goalmouth: I did absolutely think this would go to the top. Not so sure now, but I know for sure that NYT list is a very flaky and manipulated entity. We'll see.

I don't pretend to understand anything about why some books sell, but hindsight will probably show they should have rushed this baby into stores when the steroid story broke instead of waiting for Selena to make it ultra-current.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The rankings have been swing and a miss so far.

Just like A-Rod in October.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

It will definitely make the NYT list. If it only sells 3,000 copies between this past Monday and Sunday it will make the list. It will sell more than that and will likely be in the top 10. There just isn't that much competition.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - 89 is grand for many books but not this one given all the pre publicity.

I think its a safe bet that the publisher is having a WTF moment today and burning up the wires to his pr folks.

I've heard Roberts on a few shows and she is not doing herself any favors.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My book got up to 3,000 on Amazon for a brief fleeting moment. I pretty much sprung wood.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm shocked the book is not selling big, given that this is at least the sixth thread regarding the New York Yankees on the first 2 pages of SJ so clearly the entire world is greatly interested in all things pinstriped.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yeah, Roberts stopped being employed by The Times.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I heard Wilbon (I think it was Wilbon) say it reads like Roberts just walked around asking everyone "what's the worst thing about A-Rod you can tell me" and then documented it.

That, to me anyway, isn't much a of a book.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm glad to see that her book is tanking, but astonished at the epiphany from segments of the media now asking for self policing.

The media has helped to railroad thousands, but it took some well to do white kids to take the fall in order for some to take in this obvious and always visible conclusion.

go figure.

12. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

For those who simply glossed over this post, the book is not tanking.

Draft saved Draft deleted