1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, Palmdale, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 6, 2009.

1. I also agree with AVSE... quantity does not make quality. Problem is I feel so many editors/owners, all they want are stories and more stories because they feel that's the only way to sell papers. Just crank it out -- and that's why so many like a guy like Brian Golden, because he writes so much, they don't care that half of it is non-sense or basically whatever ESPN says about whatever team he's at, there are few original thoughts.

It's unfortunate because the true story-telling and analysis are just fading away..

2. AVSE

AVSE Member

He once wrote a column about Darren Dreifort coming back from one of his multiple elbow surgeries. The line that was taken out: "The pieces floating around inside of Dreifort's arm resembled the pieces of the space shuttle Columbia floating to earth." Yes, I remember it verbatim because it was so freaking horrifying, especially in an area where NASA has a presence. He also wrote a column at the Super Bowl XL that said God made it rain on the game because the NFL wouldn't let churches host Super Bowl parties.

3. SMTMcKean

SMTMcKean New Member

Still want this one …

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

has this been filled?

5. SMTMcKean

SMTMcKean New Member

My understanding is, not yet. But I still want it.

6. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

So you're saying that, like many talented individuals, he has a strong need for a talented editor?

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

So would that mean that untalented writers would have a strong need for untalented editors?

8. AVSE

AVSE Member

I would say that after 35 years in the business he doesn't care what kind of editing he's getting, he does what he wants.

9. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

The long overdue update. ...

We still are in the process with the assistant sports editor position. We remain in contact with some who applied in the spring, and we still are open to hearing from those with newsroom experience who may be interested in the position.

Yes, it seems like a long time. During the summer, one of our reporters relocated to another part of the country, and we felt it was a priority to replace that position with someone to provide copy and assist in covering our high schools and community sports. Recent San Diego State graduate Eric Shannon joined our staff just before the start of the high school sports season to fill that role.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions; and I will do my best to answer.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Toby, I know this is a loaded question but what are the chances of your sealing this position up by say Christmas?

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Damn, I started reading this as though it were a new vacancy, then realized I offered my 2 cents six months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted