1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The club gets ever larger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Voodoo Chile, Apr 7, 2009.

1. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

I found out from someone who was laid off from that paper, if it is the one I'm thinking, today. It makes me sick, because I thought the furloughs were supposed to prevent crap like this.

32-hour work weeks and still laying off people. What's next 24-hour work weeks, layoffs and an A-section full of ads?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If the A-section was full of ads, we wouldn't have these problems.

3. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

Very true.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So sorry for you. Best wishes to you.
    In a week or so if you feel up to it, it would be interesting to hear how people are let go at a Gannett sweat shop these days. Do they handle it with class? Or do they kick you out the door?

5. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Thanks for the well wishes.
    They treated me great, for whatever that's worth. The ME and an HR representative sat with me and the others that I saw them talk to for several minutes. They answered questions, and for whatever the hell it's worth I asked a bunch. They told me to bring my laptop, cell phone and fire safety gear into the office whenever I'm in the neighborhood, and said if I want to buy my own cell phone and keep the same number, that I could keep my phone for a week or so while I get that set up.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sweet of them.
    Give them the computer back when they give you what they have of yours, assuming they didn't let you retrieve anything.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fire safety gear?

8. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Yes, I'm also a fill-in on the news side.

9. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Or, I should say, I was.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Well put Whipped.

And best of luck to you, Voodoo.

(That is a cool handle.)

Draft saved Draft deleted