1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. XXXX

XXXX Member

Outside of Taker HBK...Wrestlemania was terrible. Completely underwhelming. The hardys match was good, eh, not anything over that. MITB was definatly good. Botched moves out the ass, and I dont think Punk should have won it again (crowd was booing, actually. Christian was totally over.) Jericho vs. the Legends was better than I thought, but thats like saying eating a turd was more nutritious than originally expected... Steamboat looked GREAT for his age! He was doing stuff a 30 year old couldn't even do. Cena vs. Show vs. Edge was average at best. There is nothing that sticks out with this match at all. Vickie didn't "choose" show or edge...The only good part was hearing thuganomics for a minute. HHH vs. Orton was completely the biggest sham of a main event in the last 10 years of mania. It just kinda ended. No swerve, no run ins, no 2 counts, no close calls, no BLOOD!, no anything. They went through the motions as a Main event of Wrestlemania, which is unexcusable. How do they continue any of these feuds?

Which brings me to this point...there was absolutely no flow at all to this mania. 2 matches had a rushed ending feeling (HHH/Orton & Hardys). Kid Rock was pointless and went on WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too long. Seeing Austin is always amazing. I wish JBL ended his career a little better, the man can talk! Overall Wrestlemania scores a 4 out of 10...bad.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know it's bad when Rey vs. JBL lasts 21 seconds and it's not even the most disappointing bout on the card.

3. schiezainc

Ok, re-watching Michaels and Taker again and calling it a night on a good note.

Any way this gets beat out as MOTY?

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The main event was a letdown, but to call it dark match quality is quite the stretch.

It is a comparable quality match to HHH-Cena and HHH-Batista. Notice a trend?

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Not a chance, particularly since most publications have a (well-deserved) hard-on for HBK's WrestleMania matches. This is right up there with the best of them and 'Taker's involvement doesn't hurt.

Personally, it's the best match I've seen since the triple threat main event at WrestleMania 20 five years ago.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Unless HBK and Taker meet again in 09, there is no way this match doesn't wim MOTY.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Even if they do, this was WrestleMania. There's no way they can top this match with the close finishes, big spots, and crowd reaction on such a big stage.

It was a close to perfect match. I can't fathom how these two perform at such a high level after all of these years.

8. schiezainc

Just rewatched it. Just as good on the second viewing.

I'm not rewatching the two title matches but I think it might have had a lot to do with the Taker-HBK match stealing the show. I really feel like those matches couldn't live up to or exceed what Michaels and Company did so they just didn't try.

9. schiezainc

They probably started planning this one during the Rumble and have been working on it since. It was pretty well planned out and even better executed. Apart from the Taker dive over the ropes (I think he landed on his head) and the HBK botched DDT reversal, it was perfect execution-wise.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that. And I'd watch that match again, but nothing else from tonight's card.

By the way, anybody else initially think Shelton Benjamin killed himself when he did his back flip off the ladder? That, along with the camera guy almost dropping Taker on his head, were two pretty brutal spots.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Taker absolutely landed on his head, but I think he ducked in just enough time to not land squarely on the top. It looked like the camera man was actually a stunt guy who was meant to catch Taker and fall back with him. But Taker kind of botched it.

12. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Money in the the Bank: A solid multi-man ladder match. I'm pleased Punk won. Seems like last year was the test drive, and maybe he'll get something better to do this year. Judging by crowd reaction, draft Christian to a better show and have him chase a title as well.

Divas: Insulting that they really let Santino win it. I love me some Molly Holly.

Hardy vs. Hardy: About what I expected considering there wasn't that great of a build.

Legends: Predictable, but Steamboat looked great. I kinda buy Rourke punching out Jericho given his background in boxing.

The Streak: Best match of the night. The match itself was literally a showstopper. Nothing that came after was worth a shit.

WHC Triple Threat: Cena wins, who saw that coming? I can't believe this is the best WM match that Edge got.

WWE Championship: Underwhelming. How about Triple H retire next?

Overall, the title matches sucked. Just think, how different was this from WM24? WWE Title: triple threat between Orton, Triple H, Cena. WHC: Edge loses the belt. Other than a swap for 'Taker and Big Show, it was the same shit two years in a row. Same could be said for MITB. Sure, I liked Punk winning, but Christian would have been the better pick.

And why the fuck are there ANY dark matches? For $65, I should see it all. Fucking WWE.

Draft saved Draft deleted