1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downsizing Clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Firstime Caller, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I have a clip that ran in a magazine that uses 10 by 12 pages. The clip was across two full pages. Obviously to get it to fit on to two 8.5 by 11 page I had to shrink it a little.

Just wondering about the board's opinion on this. I think it's pretty readable shrunk down, but I'd always heard to never downsize clips because of readability issues. The story appears to be at full size in about 10 point type. I had to shrink it down to 80% the size of the original.

I am scanning this clip in so that I can send it electronically, but I also want the person to be able to print it out on 8.5 by 11 paper.

My other option would be able to hack up the full size print and just do a text only clip, but that would be sort of awkward looking because the headline runs on top of some of the pictures. So there'd be no way to avoid having parts of the pictures in there.

Thoughts?

This is my best clip, so I really want to be able to use it.

Should I send a shrunk down AND full size version?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Depends how small the type is when you shrink it.

I've copied clips at 90-95 percent before and never had a problem with it. I figure if I can read the hard copy --- and my vision is like 20/400 without glasses --- anyone else can too.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

As long as it's not too overboard - as Mark2010 said, 90 to 95 percent - you're fine.

4. Thanks so far for the replies.

I was just checking out another thread and it struck me that the size of the type on the shrunk down clip is about the size of the type that occurs when you use the quote function on this board. So is that too small for a clip or am I okay?

I showed it to someone (not in journalism) and he said I was fine. I think it's sort of borderline, so that's why I'm asking.

5. Firstime, it sounds like the type size will work. I've done the same myself with oversize clips. Just a thought: Can you include an online link to the story?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ninety to 95 percent is OK, as long as it's readable.

Otherwise, I would be really leery of shrinking.

Of course, I say that as I acknowledge printing PDFs of pages at about 72 percent so they can fit on 8.5 by 11 paper.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've done that, too. I usually use either 8.5 x 14 or 11 x 17 paper for my page design clips, though.

For writing clips, what you are demonstrating is obviously the writing. Doesn't matter if the copy desk laid it out vertically, horizontally, where the jump falls, etc. So you want to make sure it is readable without giving the reader a headache. Chances are, if you can read it, so can they.

Draft saved Draft deleted