1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

you would think that in this era of doing more with less, that you'd want to have people around who are experienced enough to do more with less ...

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

It's a better metaphor than "people are being pulled away from their jobs and led into the gas chamber."

I love you Moddy, but ... yikes.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hear you, Doug! I've been in that kind of mood all day so I'm coming out a little more harsh than I should.
    But I don't apologize for it.

Besides, that other Mike Harris has always been able to express himself better.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The more i read this quote the more steamed I get. How in the fuck do you sharpen your focus on the things you cover with fewer people? Does this asswipe actually think remaining staffers or the public, is going to believe this shit?

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It amazes me how an industry that seeks truth and openness in all things can attempt to convince the public that a smaller newspaper that covers fewer things is somehow better -- with a sharper focus. It's not that there's less to read, it's that they're giving readers more time to do other things in their life!

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I saw a list of about 20 names this morning. Meem wasn't on it. Nor was Brookins. But goddammit they lost some REALLY good people today.

Assholes.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I really hope someone, or multiple someones, told the bosses to go fuck themselves today after getting the news.

Good luck to the talented folks who lost their jobs today, and may those who continue to ruin the business rot in fucking hell.

8. They say this because the unspoken claim is that there must be something wrong with these staffers if they lost their jobs, like maybe they used to be productive but now they're coasting. So by getting rid of the deadwood, the remaining people will be free to flourish without their bad example.

You and I know it's bullshit, but the general public, which doesn't really like the media anyway, will think that. And it makes the PR spin that much more believable.

Personally, I would like to see the person who first coined the phrase "do more with less" drawn and quartered.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

totally and utterly classless if that is why they are spin doctoring.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have heard from several of my former colleagues that final "regular" paychecks for those let go were shorted, which adds needless hassle to those involved.
    One 23-year vet at the TD was handed his papers after being told of his fate. His name was spelled wrong. Now they're messing with the money, albeit by accident but still a hassle.
    Lord. What a business.

11. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

I feel bad for everybody at the T-D. Working there from 2000-2003 in the sports department was some of the best stuff in my life and I still think about the good times we had in there even to this day. I am just thankful I got to experience that before things got this bad. I never saw this coming and am sad for my former co-workers. This is my first post on SJ and I signed up mainly 'cause I just wanted you guys to know I am thinking about you. Moddy probably knows who this is. Anyway, some suggestions for you guys out there that might help in the job search. Put your communications degree to work and focus your efforts on getting a state job. When I saw this coming and got hints that there were going to be layoffs at the TV station I was working at in Richmond, I started thinking about jobs that would outlast this economy and state jobs immediately came to mind. When you send your state resume in, put on there that your degree is in communications....don't put journalism, etc. Believe it or not, just by putting communications opens up so many doors for state jobs for people with degrees like us. I am now working for VDOT's central office on Broad Street and am thankful I found the opportunity. It was a close call. Just thought I would throw this option out there for you guys and hope the advice helps. I know what it's like to be unemployed.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Your suggestion of looking into state jobs is good. The one about changing your degree on your resume from journalism to communications? Not so much, I don't think.

You obviously got your state job without anybody actually looking into your background. That surprises me, but I wouldn't want to chance it, especially with any job I really wanted.

Employers do check on resumes/degrees sometimes. If I worked for the state, and I was looking into prospective employees' backgrounds, I think I would make that call.

And I wouldn't hire anybody who I found had lied about their degree, even just a little bit. It would go to history/habit, and make me wonder what else about which the person had lied, or ever would lie.

Draft saved Draft deleted