1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've talked to a few now. This will shock you: It is being handled poorly.
    But, I'm told, some of the severance deals aren't awful. One person is being paid through the end of the month and will be paid back for the furlough days and THEN the severance starts.
    They just called 'em in assembly line style, gave them a packet and said see ya. Did allow them to go upstairs and get their shit if they wanted but most had already cleared it out after getting the e-mail.
    One guy looked at his packet - his name was spelled wrong. Only been there about 20 years.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stay classy, fellas.

3. Moderator1

Some people didn't get the e-mails and are getting met in the lobby as we speak.
    Lord a mighty I hope my wife hid the car keys.

One person was laid off by a senior editor she had never conversed with before.
    "Nice to meet you. Get the fuck out."

Lovely business. Just lovely.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jesus.

H.

Tapdancing.

Christ.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've run out of ways to react. Damn. Just damn.

6. Moderator1

In other parts of the building, people are being pulled away from their jobs and led into the gas chamber. HR is being sent to fetch purses, personal effects.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good Lord. Let the people clean their own fucking desks out, OK?

Assholes.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stay classy, Richmond. At least word I got is my old paper was handling these issues with more dignity for all parties.

I'm with Moddy ... thank goodness I'm no longer with MG. I really don't know if I could look any suit or employee kicked out in the eye given the recent treatment at some of their properties.

9. WS

WS Member

yeah, too bad those suits couldn't drop their salaries to, oh, $800,000 per year for doing nothing but sucking at life

10. Moderator1

Just got another call. Looks like final company-wide total is 59. Included were 10 or so with 30-plus years of experience. Not included, so far as anyone knows, were the countless people make 100,000-plus. Many of them could be gone and no one would notice. The people sent out today? People will notice.

11. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Style Weekly <a href="http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=04C332FDE3C74945A506E742DB48B927">names some names</a>. It's all anon, so take it for what it's worth.

I remember a bunch of these folks from my summer internship many, many years ago. This stinks.

12. Moderator1

I had not heard Brookins but I suspect that is correct. None of the other names is wrong.
    Proctor's office is on the fourth floor but I can't argue with anything else there.

John, it was 21 years ago when you were our (very good) intern and some of these folks were veterans THEN.

Draft saved Draft deleted