1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger's not human

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Yeah. I love to see him win.

But it don't break my day if he loses.

I also like it when someone can beat Tiger.

But I like the way he can handle it, win or lose.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

At times late last summer, I found myself feeling a tiny bit guilty that I was watching next to no golf.

But I shouldn't have. Golf Without Woods pales next to Golf With Woods.

If that's worship, point me to the temple.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, I'd hardly call myself the anti-Junkie in this discussion. I like watching the guy play, no question about it. What he does on a golf course amazes me and, frankly, I enjoy being amazed by superior and dominating athletic talent.

Some people, of course, don't seem to enjoy much of anything in sports, if not in life. That's their problem.

4. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

First of all, Sean O'Hair missed the cut at the Players last year. You're probably thinking of '07, but he was in second place (to Phil) when he hit all those balls in the water. It's not like he was in the lead standing on that tee--he was two back.

As for your argument that the best player of all time would have had the tournament wrapped up by the 12th hole today, I'm absolutely dumbfounded. The course was playing extremely tough all week, and Tiger ended up shooting the second-best score of the day. Of course O'Hair did not play well, but there were only four other players who shot 3 or 4 under (none of whom were in contention at the start), so the idea that most tour pros would have overtaken O'Hair today is far-fetched--plus, they also would have needed to have played as well as Tiger did the first three rounds to put themselves in position. Shooting a 67 in the final group and shooting a 67 when you're 10 shots back and just playing for a bigger paycheck are two totally different things. Let's also take into consideration that this was only Tiger's third tournament after coming back from restructuring his knee.

And I think you're also wrong about how people never say it's the other guy choking--what's amazing about Tiger is how guys ALWAYS seem to choke when they play with him--Sergio, Ernie, etc. So some credit is given to Tiger because he is such an incredible closer and because everyone falters when he's breathing down their neck--the intimidation factor with him is unbelievable.

Also, third-round leaders win less than half of the time. It's freaking difficult to win a golf tournament. Tiger, on the other hand, has blown just three of his 47 third-round leads. I don't think you can chalk it all up to inferior competition--Phil and Ernie and Vijay are all probably top 25 all-time players--though maybe with guys like Kim and McIlroy, Tiger's biggest challenges are just beginning to materialize.

The media gushes over him because he's the best player ever in his sport. What's the problem?

5. Word

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tiger shot 67.

Get real.

7. I feel the same way.
    Didn't watch any golf this weekend 'til Sunday.
    Saw the leaderboard to start the day and felt bad for O'Hair. Five stroke lead and Tiger in second - at Bay Hill - I didn't think O'Hair had a chance on Sunday.
    And I also tuned in ... something I haven't done since the PGA Championship last year.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Crazy, crazy shit.

An anti-establishment screed is cool.... unless it is patently idiotic.

If Tiger shoots 70, O'Hair's 73 wins by two shots.

73 is a pretty standard fourth-round score on tour.

67 is not.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

Hate golf, hate golf, hate golf, hate golf, hate golf.

Will watch it only because of Tiger Woods.

-30-

10. Simon_Cowbell

73 on Sunday ain't a choke.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'll join you.

I love golf. I watch the majors regardless, but I found myself actually following the tournament yesterday when I heard Tiger was making a run. My gawd, Tiger shot a 67. For a guy who had how many surgeries, has played how much in the last nine months, doing what he did this weekend is pretty amazing. It's not like he was playing on the local executive, par-60 course. I don't care if it was in his backyard, front yard, side yard or neighbor's yard. Shooting a 67 on any Sunday on tour is great stuff, especially when he comes from behind to win.

12. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Golf is such an individual game. It's the player vs. the course with the lowest score winning. Yet, on the final day, in the final group, O'Hair's not only trying to play steady golf to maintain his lead, but he's doing it while one of the other guys in his group, Tiger, is charging and with the entire gallery cheering for that other guy. Over the last nine holes, maybe more, Bay Hill turned from a golf course into a basketball arena. Those are tough conditions for O'Hair, and he still shot 73. And I only remember two really bad shots (although I was flipping channels) -- the par putt he pushed on 7 and the approach into the drink on 16. He played 17 smart after Tiger put his shot into the bunker, and they were tied going into 18. Tiger was simply better overall on 18. I can't call it a choke by O'Hair, either. Great performance by Woods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.