1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harless Wade

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't know the guy, but he worked at the Dallas Morning News from 1956 to 1994 and based on this AP story, probably had some stories he could tell:

BC-TX--Obit-Wade,0270
    Longtime Dallas sportswriter Harless Wade dies
    Eds: Moving on general news and sports services.
    DALLAS (AP) — Harless Wade, longtime sportswriter for The Dallas Morning News, died Saturday. He was 80.
    Wade died at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas, the newspaper announced. Wade, who had been in failing health in recent years, covered golf and other sports for the paper from 1956 until 1994.
    “Harless knew many of Texas’ college and pro star athletes and coaches,” said Bob Yates, the paper’s deputy manager editor for sports. “You can’t replace that kind of knowledge. Harless was a big part of The Dallas Morning News sports section for many years. He was as Texan as they come.”
    When Wade retired, local golfers organized “An Evening With Harless Wade — The Roasting of a Sports Writer.” The honorary planning committee for the event included Byron and Peggy Nelson, Ben Crenshaw, Darrell Royal and Mickey Mantle.
    Wade, son of a Methodist minister, was born in Wichita Falls and grew up in Commerce,
    He began his journalism career at what is now Texas A&M-Commerce, where he became editor of the school newspaper before graduating in 1950 with a degree in speech and journalism. He was inducted into the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame in 1999 for “meritorious service.”
    He coached high school football and basketball at Linden High School in East Texas, did postgraduate work at Princeton University and attended law school at Southern Methodist, his daughter Kari Wade said.
    “When I chose journalism, my original intention was to be a Washington correspondent,” Wade said when he retired. “But I loved sports so much. I fell into a trap and never really wanted to get out.”

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Harless Ainesworth Wade. He was an original Texas character right out of a Dan Jenkins novel.

One of the best stories I remember about Harless was this: He was covering Bear Bryant's last regular-season game. Somehow, Harless got swept into the lockerroom after the game (probably cause he looked like a good ol' boy) and was there to to hear Bryant address his team after the victory.

RIP, Harless. I'll drink a vodka shot to ya.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Grew up reading him and he was one to emulate.
    A class act in my experience who was probably far too indulgent of young writers wanting a few minutes to talk shop.

4. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

One of my dad's best friends and contemporaries. A great man, and, as Kleeda notes, somebody who always had time for up-and-comers.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Harless was a terrific guy and a ton of fun to be around, and he didn't care a lick if you worked for a competing paper (as I did for almost 10 of those years he was at the DMN).

One of my favorite memories of him is sharing a private jet with him, Hoss Brock and a couple other Cotton Bowl poobahs going to and from Auburn on the day the Cotton Bowl extended its official bowl invite to Pat Dye. No great story here with a punch line, except that between Hoss and Harless, we had a great time.

harless had a neverending sense of humor and a nose for news---he wa always getting his hands on items because of the wealth of contacts he had, and he loved covering golf more than anything, I belileve.

This one's for you, Harless.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

As an alum of Harless Wade's alma mater, I know he was a legend in the J-school there. And at the DMN, back when it was an upper tier newspaper.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted