1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, Mar 21, 2009.

1. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

In Chicago, Dan McGrath is now writing.
    Mike Kellams is now in charge.
    I do not know if Dan wanted this, but I do know he wrote a story saying he was excited and pleased to be writing. And I know he can write. Mike Kellams is a fine person as well outside of the office. Not sure what he's like as a boss.

In Frisco, these details are heartbreaking. I never worked for Glenn, but I spent many APSE conventions with him and he is a pro. A real nice guy who always had time for everybody and cared deeply for his staff and colleagues. He's a prince of a guy and an outstanding journalist. Glenn is universally respected among newspaper people accross the country.

This should not be happening.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, McGrath kind of announced the writing thing in a story posted here a few days back.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Got to judge with Glenn in Torrance a few years ago.

I came away so impressed by the man.

I can't imagine a "direction" anyone wants to go in that doesn't include him at the top.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does the business editor have any sports experience? Was there any rationale given for this move?

5. The only rationale would be that Glenn understood the business too well and had feelings for the people he supervised, and would go to bat for different members of the staff when those from other areas would make poor judgments.
    I worked alongside Glenn when he covered baseball. He brought a special feeling to the pm story, and have always made an effort to see him when I been in Bay Area on assignment.
    I know what it's like working for Barry Forbis -- it doesn't get any better -- and my feeling is Glenn was tied with Forbis for first. Guys who cared not only about the product but also about the people who put the product together, and as a result they always would wind up getting more than anybody could expect from a staff that appreciated the leadership.

Draft saved Draft deleted