1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts from McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 2, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonderful person, your SE...

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Oh yeah. How long did it finally take for your SE to talk to you Miles -- or are you still waiting?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I went into work on a Friday, my last shift before leaving Saturday for a two-week vacation in Maui, and got a memo that everyone had to be in the office on Monday for a mandatory meeting at 10 a.m. I talked to the SE on Friday, reminding him of that. He stammered, then said to call in on Monday, which I did to find out I was laid off.
    The brief conversation on that Friday was the last time I ever spoke to him, period. That was November 1995. He, too, fits the gutless bastard mold.

4. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

He didn't speak to me until 24 hours after I was laid off. I first went to HR and had a meeting. Then I went to my desk and it took him 20 minutes to say a single word. He asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee. I told him "No." Then one of my co-workers walked away and he finally came up to me and said "All I can say is I'm sorry." I said "All I can say is good luck without me." He said, "Well, yeah."

Later we had some B.S. chit chat about when the damn ECHL team was playing again. I've never repsected a sports editor any less than I have this one. No thank you for all your hard work and the damn times I saved his ass, no nothing.

Completely gutless.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Sounds like when I was laid off from that place. He wouldn't come out and tell me that I was gone. He just kept repeating that "I had to come in for an important meeting" on my day off, no less.

He didn't have the cojones to do it. Finally the ME and the HR folks called me back and told me. Yeah, gutless.

I'll be praying for you. And it wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes. You'll end up on your feet for sure. You're a supremely talented guy and one of the hardest working folks in the biz. Good luck to you.

When I found out, I was shocked. Of all the people they could part with, of ALL the people. Ugh.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Miles is my boy.

Great dude, hustles on the beat, writes his ass off.

That's all I've got.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Got to agree. While I hate seeing anyone lose their job, six full-timers on a 45k paper is about average.

I don't think they staff any racing. At least that's what one guy there told me a while back. Yes, the Heritage Classic is a big deal, but it's not a 52-weeks per year beat. And I seriously doubt they are sending a guy FT on the PGA Tour. The Georgia and Carolina events, sure, but again, not a 52-weeks per year beat.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

A friend in Lexington says the layoff announcement there is set for Monday. The Guild asked for it to be done on Friday, to cut down on the employees' anxiety, but no such luck.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

What assholes. letting people know it's coming, and then making them come in on the worst day of the fuckn week.

Draft saved Draft deleted