1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts from McClatchy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 2, 2009.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Thanks, Tom.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just keeps getting more uglier in Myrtle Beach.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003946952

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Boise is losing 25 and will have pay cuts.

Apparently Raleigh's cuts weren't supposed to go down until next week, but have been moved up to today.

A bit of information on the KC Star, as well.

http://cancelthebee.blogspot.com/

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And in the comments section, Tacoma is losing 30 and having the same wage reductions as Boise:

http://cancelthebee.blogspot.com/2009/03/idaho-statesman-says-it-will-lay-off-25.html?showComment=1237221540000#c2128428376548033931

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Boise hourly folks have already taken a 6 percent pay cut.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit. So, if you make less than 50k, you will have taken a 9 percent pay cut when all is said and done?
    That is ridiculous.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yep, their hours were cut down to 37.5 last year, which amounts to a 6 percent pay cut, add that onto the cuts in overtime and some people have probably already taken more than 9 percent pay cuts.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the Raleigh post, about how you would go about "seceding" from McClatchy.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Olympia is supposedly losing 15 folks as well as combining classifieds with Tacoma. Some news-side employees have been forced to move to Tacoma's office in the past couple weeks.

The core of Tacoma's official release:
    Another bloody Monday...

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's a bad day in Western Washington.

11. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Call me one of the unfortunates as I was informed my last day will be March 27. I'm getting married March 28 so my paid vacation has turned into a week of severance pay for being last in, first out.

And to boot, my sports editor has yet to talk to me after I was informed five hours ago by HR and the EE that I was being laid off. Good times, I tell you. Good times.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit.

I'm really sorry to hear that man. That is truly awful. Best wishes to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted