1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Sun-Sentinel cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. taz

taz Member

I had the distinct honor of interning at the Sun-Sentinel in the summer of '85, and learned more from that group than I could have possibly have imagined. I was in awe of the sheer talent and professionalism, and really looked up to guys like Turner, Otto, Leary, Powers, and the desk as a whole (that's where I spent the majority of my time there).

It was an incredible experience, and while places like St. Pete, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville (yes, Jax) seemed to be most highly regarded sections by my college peers, I knew FtL was heads/tails the best section in the state.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Too bad Tribune Co. is completely devaluing editors who know how to edit and bring out the best in reporters.

Baltimore ...... Chicago ....... Fort Lauderdale ....... you name it.

3. Fred Turner is a hero. He'd hire people who he knew would work well together inside and outside of the office. Stories are legendary of Stanke, Powers, Leary, Andreu, Plaschke, Joseph, Wojo, Kaz and Rosaforte running bar bills through the roof: They'd put out the paper on a Saturday, the writers would meet the desk at a bar afterward. When the local bars closed, the crew would drive to Hollywood where bars were open to 6 a.m., then they'd go play softball after that. Remarkable fun, all while putting out a tremendous paper. I started there taking school scores and that crew made me want to be a journalist. They loved life. It's so sad what has become of the Sentinel.

4. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Wasn't Gordon Edes at the S-S once, or am I mistaken?

5. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Yep! Another great Turner hire. And Turner loved the guy.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except for one night, when Fred was working the composing room floor (a rare chance for upper management to see what went on).

A hurried --- and bad--- trim was made on one of Edes' stories that came in 30 minutes late and 10 inches long.

Gordon: "Fred, some idiot made a terrible trim on my story."

Fred: "Ahhh, I was that idiot."

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I believe, if I remember correctly, that piece ended in the middle of a sentence.

Fred was my boss during that time in my career, and I consider myself blessed to have had the experience, along with having taken dictation from Edes on Tom Kelly's quotes from the Metrodome after Game 7 in 1991.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Today on Bob Norman's Daily Pulp blog, news is out that the Sun-Sentinel has laid off popular Palm Beach columnist Ralph De La Cruz and popular veteran writer/columnist/editor Howard Goodman, with more apparently to come:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The Pipeline is correct here.

Excellent hire for GC, big-time loss for the golf fans of Broward Co. and elsewhere.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The big-time losses for those golf fans were Larry Dorman in the early 1990s and then Mayo in 2002.

No paper did golf better for those 15 years. None.

Draft saved Draft deleted