1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herald to cut about 175 positions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hey, "Stop Draggin My Heart Around" is one of my favorite songs ever.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's 'cause you love Tom Petty.

3. Mizzougrad96

True.

4. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Daily Pulp update:

I have been told that 35-40 newsroomers are losing their jobs while about 15 are being reduced to part-time (and losing their benefits and most of their pay in the process). Most want to see at least one or two assistant managing editors go, but so far no word on that. "The anger is a little more acute now," one Herald reporter told me. "The gangrene has set in and we're now chopping off extremities. We're going to have to wait and see how much of the rotten fruit on the top branches is cut off as opposed to trimming the roots."

5. Mizzougrad96

This post is an interesting one...

"Hopefully, we can trim some of the useless managerial staff that do nothing at the paper but sit in meetings all day. Alvarez, Hirsch, the myriad unnecessary photo editors = waste of thousands. For every one of these we cut we can afford to keep on four people that actually do something more. There are way too many managers in the newsroom, not enough do-ers.

Also think it is time to stop paying Dave Barry, his wife and his son salaries, as well as his personal secretary. This is just too much for the diminishing returns he produces as his readers trail off into senility and die of old age."

For the record, I've always liked Michelle Kaufman's work.

6. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Honk if you've ever put out the Clipper.

Honk

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That is indeed a cheap shot against Michelle, but emotions are running really high right now I guess.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting back and forth with people upset that names are being posted on the blog.

For the record, though I can understand how some people might feel, if you are a journalist you should support information getting out to the public. Even if it hurts.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Way out of bounds cheap shot.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn, some familiar names on that list. And we haven't hit sports yet.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I can't believe Bob posted those names.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted