1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakeland's turn to say buy(out)buy!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline. Interesting on years plus age, don't think I've seen that one before. Hell, I'd be 82 by their math.

The Ledger in Lakeland, Fla., offered buyouts last week to employees whose years of service plus age is greater than or equal to 60. Not sure how many people they're looking for or how many are eligible, but sports reporter Dick Scanlon is among those taking the buyout. Believe there's also a news reporter and a news copy editor taking it so far, too. More could be to come because those eligible were given an April 5 deadline to decide. More good news, eh?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think a couple of the many buyouts we've had over the years have had that, but I'm not sure. It's hard to keep track after a while.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick's been there since the '80s, so this may come at a relatively good time for him. At least I hope so.
    I always thought the Ledger was a damn good paper for its size and the size of its home town. Too bad.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who owns this newspaper?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New York Times Co.

7. txrangerman

txrangerman Member

Dick's good people. Anybody here anything on Mike Cobb?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had a chance many, many years ago to head down there and work.

Glad I didn't now because their formula would've left me 6 years short of the buyout option.

(And ineligible for the patently-inevitable age-discrimination lawsuits to follow.)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. The years plus age thing strikes me as just a little too obvious that they want older veterans gone.

You would think that the paper wasn't this stupid. Then again, we are talking about the newspaper industry.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of papers have done something similar. It would only be illegal if they said, "Everybody here over 60, you're fired!" which is probably what a lot of papers would like to do.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for someone to try that shit. Every trial lawyer in the country would smell blood, raise his/her hand and say "I'll take the case!"

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I've said before, the people in the newspaper business with the best job security are the ones over 60 who can scream age discrimination if they get canned.

Draft saved Draft deleted