1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's not funny. :mad:

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're absolutely right.

On this date, should nothing change, I think the final three teams to qualify for the Eastern Conference playoffs are (in no particular order) Buffalo, Florida (Bouwmeester to Anaheim for Pronger?) and Carolina.

3. Therrien fired

Dan Bylsma replaces Therrien as interim head coach

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Per the breaking news banner on TSN.ca ...

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And the AP News Alert. Guess that game last night was the final straw, eh TH?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it just seem like every time I turn around there's more piss-poor hockey?

Last night Minnesota gives up TWO short-handed goals at HOME in about 5 minutes.
    Anaheim has just committed four different penalties in four minutes.
    Pittsburgh at home vs. Toronto . . . well-documented.

Let's just cut the playoffs to two teams in each conference so we can get the whole thing over with.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well ... can't call this much of a shock. Someone was going to take the fall, and it wasn't going to be Crosby or Malkin.

And Cam Ward comes through again. A 36-save shutout for the Whalercanes.

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Even though I'm in the camp that Renney isn't the problem with the Rangers, after watching the game today I thought he would have been the next coach in line to get the gate.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Flippin' garbarge. Last I checked, it was not Therrien's fault that Ray Shero let then-free agents Marian Hossa and Ryan Malone.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If Sather cans Renney, who does he replace him with? One of the assistant coaches? Assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld? They are going to preach the same message Renney does.

The Rangers are a small team that does not possess a ton of speed or scoring, while being almost capped out. It's hard for any coach to make chicken salad when he or she does not have the proper ingredients.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah, but HB ... you know this game as well as anyone here. When in doubt, fire the coach. When the GM screws up, make the coach the fall guy.

Wash, rinse, repeat, etc. ...

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, I know. Coaches are hired to be fired. You can't fire the players, so fire the coach. I just think it's absolute crap that Therrien was canned, considering he pretty much had no choice but to skate Crosby with Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy since Ray Shero wasn't able to re-sign Hossa and Malone or make a deal for a scorer.

Draft saved Draft deleted