1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How not to use Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 11, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

National Post tech reporter has a meltdown with a PR rep:

http://www.mediastyle.ca/2009/02/national-post-reporter-has-total-twitter-melt-down/comment-page-1/#comment-45

The moral of the story: be careful what you say on social networking platforms. This stuff spreads so virally that you're news before you realize it.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

The kid's newest twitter is that he's leaving for a job in Dubai.

Nice timing, bud.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That was awesome. You'd think the tech reporter would know better, but I doubt he's the tech reporter any longer.

Very professional. I don't think I would talk like that to anyone, let alone do it on an open networking site.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Complete idiot. Wonder how his new employers are reacting to this little show of professionalism.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I read some of his older Tweets. The kid is a hothead. He doesn't mind slamming anyone, especially those in the media business.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

If "I read some of his old Tweets" doesn't describe the loss of newspapers' institutional relevance, I don't know what does.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm always surprised that the National Post is still publishing.

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I won't disagree. Most of the papers I read Tweet their headlines now. I have no need to touch newsprint.

9. No one ever "needed" to touch newsprint before, but if it's common for people to think Tweeted headlines are a substitute for the information one can glean from picking up and reading a newspaper (or at least scanning and maybe finding something unexpected), then more than just the industry is doomed. And the industry is very doomed, if this is how most people think.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Um ... the headlines drive to the website where the full story is.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think Comma is talking about the idea that when you scan a full page of a newspaper, your eye might catch on something that maybe you wouldn't have clicked on if you had only seen a headline online. Some would argue that Web sites really can't duplicate that feeling -- although anyone who's ever spent an hour surfing from Wiki page to Wiki page, because you just want to know a little bit more and that cross-link is so inviting, might dispute that fact.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

And I do. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted