1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in '03...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by vonnegutnaked2, Feb 7, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry Angola. As much as I agree with you that they need it, the owners would never agree to adding a salary floor, at least not without a cap to go with it. I think we all know that the union won't ever allow a cap.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The glorious upside to the A-Rod story: It knocks Torre and his idiot book off the sports page.

3. Just saying but A-Rod is a Boras client and what if one of the next two names to come out is also a Boras client? What if Boras is the real target here? Taking him and his clients down several notches does nothing but help the owners and the owners' bulldog is Selig. If you recall - Selig and the Commissioners office have played with the timing of steroids related news before (back when they delayed the announcement of Palmeiro's flunking his test so that it wouldn't interfere with Ryne Sandberg's HoF induction). Just watch - imagine if Manny is one of the next two names to surface - that will hurt Boras more than anything. First he screwed Varitek, then the A-Rod business and then he waits so long that Manny-freaking-Ramirez can't get a job.

Boras is the biggest problem the owners money-making machine faces these days. The small market teams don't want to pay his demands on draft picks and the big market teams are sick of being played off against each other (see Red Sox and Teixeira, Mark). I'm guessing these leaks about the 2003 tests will eventually be traced back to the Commissioners office if the full story ever comes to light. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Manny suddenly take that one-year offer from the Dodgers.

I will now take off my tin-foil hat.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As for Boras, nothing lasts forever. Ask Leigh Steinberg.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Gammons is interviewing A-Roid right now and he's said he used steroids. ESPN says the interview is coming soon.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

A-Rod admits to using from 2001-03 .. full interview at 6 p.m..

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Bash him all you want, and it doesn't excuse the original transgression, but straight-up admitting to it goes far beyond what Bonds, Clemens or Giambi ever did.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Always better to issue a mea maxima culpa than to claim you no speak English or say you're not going to talk about the past.

And of course, he was doing 'roids while he was playing for Texas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

Kerkjian just made some excellent points about the MLBPA, as well.

10. cubs

cubs Member

This really changes nothing. Everybody was doing it. Half the guys that were doing it were not good anyway.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pending the interview, good for him.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Could the Yankees sue him (not that they would) for part of his Rangers contract they picked up, since the numbers he piled up in Texas that made him so attractive to them were admittedly steroid driven?

Draft saved Draft deleted