1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi police murder major college fooball recruit...maybe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scribbled_Notz, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great read. I can't believe the kid killed himself. It all just sounds too fishy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=Am39nMIe10vY6rEMJK6g0ew5nYcB?slug=ys-johnson020509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Sounds like something fishy. Good story, although there really isn't a lot of information to go on, it would seem.

3. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Damn. The cops are definitely hiding something. No way that kid gets out of the car and the cop doesn't go ape shit about it. Where I live, they'd shoot you for opening the door after running for a couple miles.

The end of the story was unreal. It gave me goosebumps.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the police gave the car back the next day without cleaning it up. That sure leaves a lot of evidence to be examined if they did have some culpability in this incident.

5. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Yeah. That's weird. Why did they bust out the window with the bullet hole in it? That has to be a HUGE piece of evidence, right? And what the hell is up with the cops cutting out parts of the kid's body and not turning them back over? All that seems like it would indicate stuff about the bullet's path.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Part of it reads like a CSI episode, except no forensics team would be that incompetent. Very, very fishy.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm not sure about how "exclusive" that story is. We've had virtually all of it in the slew of stories we've written on it.

That's the same high school Eric Moulds went to. Another kid named Anthony Perine was being touted every bit as good as Moulds, but he pleaded guilty to statutory rape his senior year. Still got a scholarship at USM, but never turned into a great college player. I covered that story and trial. Bad stuff.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

familiar with the lucedale, miss., area.....yep, something doesn't add up there, guys.
    something very, very fishy.

9. Um, yeah. I don't think anyone assumed that something like that happened and nobody local wrote about it. I just googled it and saw some of the local stuff. None of it has this detail, though. I'm shocked they allowed reporters to go through the truck. I'm pretty sure that eliminates any chance that truck can be used if there ever was a trial. Beyond what police already got when they looked through it, that is. Maybe that was the point of releasing it to the family. Maybe they wanted people going through it.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Because of my background, I'm skeptical of the explanation given and it just smells too much. Common sense tells you no way someone shoots their head off under those circumstances, traffic stop and all. On the other hand it sure looks like there are numerous opportunities for a police cover up. Where's the officer's uniform? What are the forensics on the rifle? I bet you do a recreation with that shotgun and no way it stays in the deceased's hands nor do the teeth stay intact. Let's get the officer under oath and see him sweat.

Really a sad story and unfortunately one that is not that surprising.

11. It all seems pretty plausible to me.
    I'll be very surprised if its anything else other than suicide.
    No parent wants to believe their child would kill themself.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wow. You read that article and really thought it was "pretty plausible?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.