1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl XLIII Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Fair point. I don't agree with it in the FG situation, but up 4, you're probably right. And definitively so in this case.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It wasn't oh-my-god horrible. But I really didn't think it deserved to be called. He was a step too late, but in regular time, it was bang-bang.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I agree.... I would LOVE to believe the Steelers have cheated their way to a title as the Pats did in 2001, but it ain't so.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That would prevent teams from spiking to stop the clock.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, let's tone down the ``tainted'' talk. All a review might have done on that last play was given the Cards one chance to fire the ball up for grabs. Granted, that's a chance, but it's a long, long shot.

6. Boobie Miles

Yeah that's definitely not the the rule. I can picture plenty of forward passes that don't reach the LOS that are ruled incomplete.

7. Boobie Miles

I think if there's anything, it should be directed at the officials/NFL, not the Steelers. The Steelers didn't pull a fast one. The refs just made an odd decision it not reviewing it.

8. amraeder

Exactly how I feel. AND, the replay might not have changed a damn thing. But it really seemed like a situation where you HAD to have a replay.
    Oh, and since the Steelers got a PF after that play, wouldn't the Cardinals have been taking their hail mary shot from like the 25 (if it had been reversed)?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I watched the game with a gang of neighbors and friends who are social companions more than sports fans. And they all commented that "the replays make it clear that there are ten penalties on every play, how come they choose some to throw flags and not others?"
    Sometimes people with detachment teach us things. These folks thought all the damn penalties were interfering with the natural flow of the contest. I didn't tell them that, because I don't want to play the (formerly employed at it) know it all. That was their idea.
    Upon my further review, I agree with them. This crew called it very tight. This runs against how Super Bowls are usually called, and I think the traditional laissez-faire method is better.
    Again, I don't think the outcome was altered, but any game is better when the freakin' officials are not even a sidebar.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just re watched the last play 3-4 times.

1. He was going deep.
    2. The ball was brought down to his waist.
    3. Woodley's hand was on top of the ball in the process of dislodging it before the ball started to move up into a throwing motion.
    4. If the ball never rose in Warner's hand, it cannot be a pass attempt.

Fumble.

11. amraeder

Probably right. Still HAVE to review it, that's all. I really think that's all most people on here are saying.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

So, I wonder how mustang17's bacon log turned out </endcrossthreading>

Draft saved Draft deleted