1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Parker controversy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There are a number of people in high places who are really warming to the idea of dumping/outsourcing copy editors.

We desperately need guys such as this writing unedited online and, if we are lucky, getting sued for something... or Jayson Blair-ing the establishment... on top of spewing a raft of grammatical, spelling and historical/contextual errors.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I hate to be a cynic, but do you think people like Dean Singleton cares if their Rob Parkers' raw copy is unreadable and chock full of mistakes? All that matters to the Dean Singeltons of the world is their bottom line.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Someone should explain to Dean that something like libel would significantly hurt the bottom line. So does, you know, gutting the product and driving customers away, but it's pretty obvious he and other newspaper executives are never going to understand that one.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I should probably make myself clear. I agree with you and Simon. The Singletons of the world do need to understand that outsourcing copy editing is asking for trouble. Especially if a paper has a writer or writers of Rob Parker's "caliber."

But as long as newspapers can't meet predetermined absurd profit margins, publishers are going to slash and burn as if related to General Sherman.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tar, you and many other people here need to get a few things straight before posting. Never, and I repeat, never, have I apologized for what Rob did. I defy anyone on this this thread to show me a post where I supported his actions.
    Therefore, I feel no heat from anyone concerning the matter.
    I wouldn't say that Rob is desperate. As I said earlier, he'll stiil be on TV and radio. And he has other interests outside of journalism that puts money in his pockets. He got an excellent buyout offer, which he says he wanted. He's landed in a nice pasture.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If his ra
    Rob's mouth has gotten him in more trouble than his writing... kid from MSU should have sued his ass off...

7. markvid

markvid Guest

What did he do?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

couple months ago...

EAST LANSING - Mark Dantonio was visibly upset today because of a report suggesting that backup quarterback Kirk Cousins was a part of last weekend’s fight involving MSU athletes.

Detroit News columnist Rob Parker, speaking about the fight Sunday night on WDIV-Channel 4 in Detroit, said “the one name that is being thrown out there big time is backup quarterback Kirk Cousins” based on anonymous sources.

Dantonio refuted that suggestion today.

“I take offense to that, his family takes offense to that. … He was with his family all night, and I think that borders on slander,” said Dantonio, who mentioned Parker’s name several times.

“Here’s a young man who’s done everything right,” Dantonio said of Cousins, a redshirt freshman, “and he’s thrown under the bus by someone who has no credibility in my mind.”

Reached on his cell phone, Parker had no comment.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

The one name being thrown out there?
    Are you kidding?
    Drip, give it up...this guy is a moron.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

How fitting, given what one would normally find in a pasture.

[​IMG]

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's reporting, baby. You obviously missed the memo.

::) ::) ::)

12. Baloo

Baloo Member

"He got an excellent buyout offer, which he says he wanted. He's landed in a nice pasture."

If what he wanted was a buyout, why didn't he take one any of the times it's been offered over the past year (unless he wasn't eligible?). Seriously, give us all a break. You make it sound like Parker is thrilled with his situation - yeah, right. The guy left the paper disgraced, with a litany of offenses. He left behind a high-paying job at a time when NO ONE is hiring. So until I hear it from Parker himself, while he's hooked up to a lie detector test (without first having been coached by George Costanza) I'm not buying the drivel you're delivering, drip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.