1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- FINAL BALLOTS ARE NOW OPEN

MISSING

Amraeder
    dparker85
    GB Hack
    Hammerpants
    Huggy
    Hustle
    Joel Hammond
    JPS
    Mustangj17
    Oz
    Precious Roy
    Rufino
    Trooper bari
    Songbird
    Zebra Coy
    Zeke12

NEED TO LEARN TO COUNT TO... oh.. TWO
    Sportschick
    KYSportswriter

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- MISSING POSTERS AND DAMAGED BALLOTS

Sorry, slappy, when I saw the "VOTES ARE NOW OPEN" on the thread, I thought you meant to post it on the thread so I didn't send it to you. I posted mine earlier on this page before I went to sleep last night.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- MISSING POSTERS AND DAMAGED BALLOTS

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Norm Coleman said he's going to demand a recount of all the damaged ballots.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Figures you wouldn't put Mizzou in. ;D

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wait. Stop me if this sounds familiar
    Jan. 9, 2009

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Nursemaid

In 2004, dismayed by undefeated Auburn’s failure to get a sniff at a BCS title game berth and a subsequent undefeated season, the Eufaula Tribune decided to do something different.

The paper declared the Tigers as National Champions.

Granted, there was some homerism with the greater Auburn-Opelika area mere 77 miles away. And there was a bit of shameless self-promotion – the kind you usually have to hot blogs on the net to find – but deserved. Hey, they thought of the idea first.

In 2008, the same opportunity existed with Utah. Shut out of the BCS Championship Game not for their failures, but a system that rewards six self-proclaimed major conferences with financially rewarding bowl spots while leaving most other schools grasping at crumbs in Detroit, Shreveport and Albuquerque.

In 2004, Auburn did everything it had to do; beat three ranked opponents during the season and another one in the Sugar Bowl.

In 2008, Utah did everything it had to do; beat three ranked opponents during the season including the Sugar Bowl. It also went on the road to beat a team from a major conference – something Auburn didn’t do – and stopped a team from another major conference – a team that beat one of the pretenders to the No. 1 ranking.
    Utah did everything right, everything it was supposed to do. And like Auburn, has to settle for second best. It’s not the Utes fault that the system automatically inflates six conferences to God-like status, deserved or not.

The Big Ten was bad, the Big East worse and the Mountain West went 6-1 against the Pac-10. But the little guys suffer because the clubhouse is closed.
    I am not a proponent of a playoff, but I am a proponent of fairness. Utah got screwed not because of something it did, but a perception of others – whether it’s the all-offense no-defense Big 12 or the self-promotion of the SEC.

Sure, you can argue that Florida only lost to Mississippi by a point. But it did.

And you can say that Texas beat Oklahoma and deserved to be in the championship game. But it didn’t beat Texas Tech.

And USC can argue how wonderful it is with a perennial stable of NFL prospects. But it couldn’t beat Oregon State, and Oregon State couldn’t beat Utah.

Sorry boys and girls, only one team did what it set out to do at the beginning of the season. Not a tearful pledge after a loss, but all season. That team deserves to be No. 1. Everyone else -- much like those voters who huffed and puffed all bowl season how others were foolish for ranking some teams then failed to turn in a ballot or took teams twice -- is full of hot air.

And you've all got seven more months to blow.

SportsJournalists.com FINAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    1/9/2009
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Florida (15) 850 1
    2. Utah (7) 814 7
    3. USC (5) 808 4
    4. Texas (7) 805 3
    5. Oklahoma 744 1
    6. TCU 668 11
    7. Alabama 640 5
    8. Penn State 622 6
    9. Boise State 555 9
    10. Oregon 544 15
    11. Ohio State 537 10
    12. Texas Tech 482 8
    13. Mississippi 456 20
    14. Georgia 441 17
    15. Virginia Tech 362 21
    16. Oklahoma State 296 13
    17. Cincinnati 255 12
    18. Oregon State 243 25
    19. Missouri 236 24
    20. Iowa 206 NR
    21. Michigan State 106 18
    22. Georgia Tech 105 14
    23. West Virginia 92 NR
    24. Florida State 91 NR
    25. California 80 NR
    Also receiving votes: BYU 77, Northwestern 46, LSU 45, Tulsa 41, Pitt 38, Rice 24, Rutgers 23, Nebraska 16, Arizona 14, Ball State 5, Boston College 5, Kansas 3.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll final committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr,, Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zeke12.

Missing voters in italics

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

At least USC finished ahead of Texas.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And again, I thank all of you who voted this season -- especially those who took the time to vote, you know, the whole season.

next year, there's only one reserved spot -- mine. Too many people were left out because of the size of the voter pool; too many people half-assed it once in. There were a lot of people who put effort into it every week and if those people want in, hell yeah they can.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I couldn't, in good faith, rank a team that lost to Kansas on a neutral field. ;)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm probably not interested next year. If all goes according to plan, I'll be in grad school and blissfully not paying a whit of attention to college football, except when Ohio plays.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There were 11 voters who missed this final?

I know I fucked up my last ballot a little, but I would love to do this again.

Slapp, you have done a hell of a job with this. Those people in italics really dropped the ball.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Four teams were well represented with #1 votes. They can all say they were the best team in college football this season with which I totally agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted