1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Change in the Bengals beat at the Cincy Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pseudo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Mark Curnutte going back to news, UK beat writer Joe Reedy taking over.

Following the light on a different path

New Bengals writer

Good luck to both. The best comment on Reedy's introductory blog post:

2. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Congrats to Joe, a good guy and multitalented journalist. Well-deserved.

3. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Congrats to Joe ... and get ready to cover a coaching search a year from now.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Coaching search? You obviously know little about the Bengals.

5. joe_reedy

joe_reedy New Member

pseudo, the comments got a lot better, especially when the commenters started digging around, found my public profile and saw that I mentioned I was a Browns fan.
    Thanks Luke, hope things are going well in the desert, especially with everything going on there the past couple weeks.
    It should be an interesting ride. Mark felt like it was time to move on and I had NFL beat experience and expressed an interest in coming back. It should be an interesting ride.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'd still recommend the Kegerator, though. Then again, I'd do that for most any occasion.

Congrats on the gig, Joe, and welcome to the board.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I was once told by a Bengals beat reporter that he was a Chargers fan growing up, but he dropped any fandom once he became a reporter. He felt he had to. I think that makes sense - especially considering the above from Joe. How can you really be unbiased when you make that sort of claim?

Anyway, Curnutte is a good guy, but his move from Metro to Bengals beat was a head-scratcher at the time, although part of it might to have just been to piss off Chris Haft (a really good guy), whom the then sports editor appeared to have a problem with, for whatever reason.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wanted to catch Daugherty's radio show last night but didn't, he had Curnutte on and was planning to ask him if all the losing made the beat easier to walk away from. Good question.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I don't know Mark Curnutte well, but he has always struck me as a thoughtful, decent guy with a lot of ideas and interests outside the realm of sports. Hope he is happy with this change.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

I think it is kind of a stupid question for a few reasons.
    If you are a true pro, it shouldn't matter what the record is, you have a job to do, do it.
    Also, some of the best stories are extracted from teams that routinely lose.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. oh, i don't know

maybe in JO 101 that's the case but not in the real world

in reality, covering a team that blows year after year gets old. just because you're objective in your coverage and don't care who wins or loses doesn't mean you want to cover a shit team every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted