1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I find two consecutive Snoopy avatars more amusing than A Christmas Story. Actually three, now.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Just wanted to preserve this bit of awesomeness.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck STUCK STUUUUUUUCK.

Come on guys, where you going?

I don't know, the bell rang...(Ralphie and Schwarz run away from poor Flick)

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

True Grit on AMC and Casablanca on TCM ... awesome.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Next, the SportsJournalists.com community will tell us that blow jobs are overrated and not worth the time.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You mean they're not?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The angels are weeping.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Christmas Story was cool because it came out of nowhere ... the cult classic of Christmas movies. No stars, did almost no box office and has stood the test of time. It's a harmless film that has no pretense about doing anything except telling a story. It has admittedly lost its "cute" stature thanks to TBS blasting the thing all day long for the past decade or so, but it's kind of cool to know it's there. Not great by any means, but pretty good and an enjoyable enough way to kill a couple of hours ... though not 24.

I suggest anybody who misses TBS for the day should go ahead and TiVo the channel on any other day of the year for viewing on Christmas Day. Odds of knowing the difference are negligible and you might even get to watch an old Braves game ... which would probably make A Christmas Story sound awesome.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

heh heh heh heh ...

No, but seriously, here's why I like the movie ... not trying to convince anybody to like it, but just sharing why I do ...

1. The dynamic between husband and wife exemplifies the time period represented. "The green string is out," he says. "No, the blue string is out," she replies. "I'm not colorblind." "I'm not either," she curtly replies. The blue, of course, is out. Just love that give and take.

2. Ralphie racing to make sure he listens to his radio program, only to come to the realization that his radio heroine is not such a heroine, but a shill for Ovaltine. Great moment.

3. The dogs.

4. Fa-ra-ra-ra-rah.

5. The part where Ralphie has to wear the bunny suit, because we all had that relative that gave you a completely retarded gift that you hated. And your mom made you use it or wear it or whatever.

6. It's a major award! Dad's life is so unfulfilling that a random gift can make him feel like a champion of something.

7. Ralphie snapping to beat up the bully, and crying afterward because he knew he had done something wrong and there would be hell to pay.

8. Sitting on the couch, trying your best not to look disappointed because you had a good Christmas, but you didn't get that one thing you REALLY wanted. And you're trying not to resent your parents. They're gifts, not birthrights. But still, there's a little part of you that hates them because they didn't listen, they didn't get you that prize item, then they play a trick on you, tell you to look around the corner. What's that? Back behind the desk ... and the feeling of elation that comes when you get that gift. Tell me you never had that happen at some point in your life.

It's a movie that viewed as a whole, isn't great. The plot is a bit hackneyed. The characters aren't memorable. But little bits and pieces of the movie evoke certain memories, of funner, simpler times, and that makes this movie great, to me at least. If you don't like it, that's your prerog, and I respect.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm betting it is the exact same word I had in mind when I posted earlier and she is the only woman I would EVER use that word in reference to.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A crummy commercial? Sonuvabitch.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My family watches ACS every Christmas eve. It's one of the most realistic Christmas movies ever made, unlike most of those where the grumpy guy or girl "discovers the spirit of Christmas" and undergoes a total personality change.

Buck, IAWL was on last night, 8-11.

Draft saved Draft deleted