1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

d/fw morning star-telegram news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lord save me from the sports boys.
    As one of those lazy news guys I'm only mildly offended.
    The I'm the only person who works hard at my has been discussed before.
    It is false.
    Jesus was less martyr than some of yall

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

thank you.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All newspaper work is episodic, that is, there are peaks and valleys of activity. In my personal case, during a Red Sox playoff run or Olympics, I might be on the clock (air travel counts!) 12-hours plus for two or more weeks straight. Then in February, I'd go to a college basketball game or Celtics game, or write at home on baseball four days a week. No way I saw 40 hours.
    News is no different. Our guys didn't get much sleep for a month after 9/11. A big story will involve multiple reporters skating double-shifts for a week or more.
    IMO, the problem with ad sales is this. Like every other profession, there are great salesmen, some terrible salesmen, and the bulk of them strung out along the bell curve.
    Honestly now. If you were good at selling things, would you, today, pick newspaper advertising space as the product you wanted to sell? Chryslers would be easier to pitch. So I fear newspapers are not getting the best and brightest of the sales trade.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Which is why if I were a publisher in these kind of economic times, I'd be raising my sales commissions to insane levels, especially for new advertisers they bring in. Give the sales staff every possible reason to knock on every door.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

6. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

T.R. Sullivan owned the market and is sorely missed. He hammered the regional competition in a way that has not been seen since the J. Oates era. Reading anything but FW's Rangers and baseball material is like reading a train schedule _ boring and predictable. Long live T.R. _ a wonderful guy and great historian. May his tribe increase. And, yes, I stopped getting any paper in North Texas when he left.

7. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Got word from my buddy that they're having some pow-wow at the S-T today to talk about all this.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I can only speak from my experience. The 60/70-hour weeks outnumbered the 30-hour weeks, by far. I'm not complaining; that's what it took to get the job done and so that's what I did. I'm quite pleased with the quality of work presented to readers. I could not have cared less how many hours the advertising people put in. If they filled the paper and it only took an hour a day, God bless 'em.

Just my two cents.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just like it's sort of silly for me to come in at 9 a.m. when there's no one available to interview. I can do my writing at a more convenient time. Actually, it's funny, some of my best features I wrote on my home computer at 2 a.m. when the phones weren't ringing and I could actually concentrate.

10. txrangerman

txrangerman Member

You know, if the powers that be were interested in doing this right, we'd see this in Transactions at some point:

Newspapers -- The Dallas Morning News trades baseball writer Evan Grant to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for two writers and an editor to be named later.

Is that too much to ask? Of course it is.

11. And no one can type with one hand faster, too.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Thanks, T.R. Good to hear from you.

Draft saved Draft deleted