1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

P_G's Bob Smizik says goodbye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Meyer took the buyout.

Really, couldn't you ask the same question about the New York sports media?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, I didn't notice that. In fact, he wrote:

<i>"I've been fortunate enough to have some great bosses, men who understood the job was important but that there also were other things to life: McHugh, Fred Landucci and Ernie DeFilippi at The Press and <b>Fritz Huysman and Jerry Micco at the Post-Gazette.</b></i>"

Micco is the current SE and I believe Huysman preceded him in the job.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

As an old white guy, I have to ask: What's wrong with old white guys?

4. Beside being "old" and "white?"
    Are you a fan of "Matlock?"

5. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

I think I'm still here, though there are days when I guess we all wonder what the hell is going on in our profession. Anyhow, Bob did toss a kudo my way in his sign-off column,for which I'm humbled and grateful. And Fritz Huysman had this job for 17 years before I was lucky enough (and I mean that) to be hired here in March 2004. Bob is a fair, tough-minded columnist with whom I had an excellent relationship with. He knows everyone and everything in our market and we'll miss him. We'll also miss Paul Meyer, Phil Axelrod and Bill Moushey, too. All took the buyouts.

I saw an earlier note in this thread about Mark Madden writing for the PG. Mark ceased writing a column about 3 months after I got here. He's still a big name in Pittsburgh sports talk radio though.

Like everyone else, we'll figure a way to get through this and move on. It's a lot of change and a lot of uncertainty, but people still want the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, Pitt, Penn State football (what will Joe do?), Duquesne basketball and high schools. We'll restructure and retool and deliver it as best we can with fewer people. We are not the first to do this, nor, unfortunately, will we be the last. As Bill Cowher used to say: "It it what it is." No one likes it, but it's the hand we're dealt.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow, Paul Meyer is out. That guy was a pro's pro, even in sweatpants.

My favorite story, and I barely know him: I was once sitting in on a Pirates' morning road pre-gamer with Lloyd McClendon in very small manager's office when Meyer walks in, mutters hello, fills up a coffee from the manager's machine, lights up a smoke and, I may be imagining this last part, puts his feet up on the desk. If he didn't, it was implied. McClendon laughs and goes, "You comfortable?"

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

..... and then Meyer probably said, "What the fuck is it to you."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Big as important, or big as in fill in the blank?

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Bill Cowher invented that phrase? The things we learn here.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And, now, I really dislike Bill Cowher.

11. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Cowher may have invented it, but Todd Bertuzzi made it irritating. It was his pat response when asked about the Steve Moore situation.
    Filthy thug.

12. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

The thing that made Bob such an institution in the 'Burgh was how much he cared about sports in the 'Burgh: Passionately, from a fan's point of view.
    And a nice guy, to boot.
    This is a big loss to P-G readers.
    Enjoy the time off, Bob. You've surely earned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted