1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

I'll be headed to Huntsville, TX for a few days, is there anything there beside the prison and the event I am covering? Hopefully I don't spend a night in the prison.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A couple of suggestions: There is a Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church that is famous for its bar-b-que. It's done so well, that it built a new church and turned the old church into a restaurant. It's right off the second exit into Huntsville coming from Houston.

When I stay there — and I've stayed there a few times — I usually wind up in the Woodlands because I'm a big collector of Marriott reward points and the nearest Marriott chain is the Fairfield in the Woodlands. Lots of good places to eat there, but it's a half hour away. Conroe is in between and, from my experience, you'll run into the usual chains there.

Huntsville does have some of the usual chains too and I think there's a popular Tex-Mex place in town.

I gather you're going for the baseball tournament? The team I cover was flat horrible this year and won't be there...

3. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Yeah, I'm going to the baseball tournament. I have some time to kill tonight and tomorrow before the game, and most likely on Friday as well. Thanks for some of the advice. I am staying at the Motel 6 in town, it's cheap and it's close to the stadium. I'll look for some of those places you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

4. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Heading to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow for a few days. Anything good to see? I'm already going to the International Fishing Hall of Fame. Anything cool down there?

5. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Jackson, Mississippi, anyone?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hope I'm not too late.

Local hangout. As the web site indicates, everyone from judges to felons can be found there during the day.

http://www.martinslounge.net/

Not the best part of town, but there's a decent pub on Fortification, http://www.fenianspub.com/ .

Fratesi's is the best Italian joint this side of the motherland. It's small, cozy and very romantic.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anyone ever been to Perdido Key, Fla.?

8. gstreet

gstreet New Member

Up in Wash, DC looking to get down to Auburn in Nov. Where should we fly to? Atlanta? Montogomery? Birmingham? Is one really any better/closer than the others?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There won't be anywhere near as much traffic (airport traffic, that is) in Montgomery. Easy access to the interstate, too.

It's probably only a solid hour from Auburn. If you want to save time and hassle, fly in to Motown. If saving money is your main objective, Atlanta's your best bet.

10. scottb

scottb New Member

so, anyone been to rapid city, south dakota?

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Any eating suggestions in Kansas City? I'm thinking BBQ

12. alan1066

alan1066 New Member

You're thinking right on the BBQ. What I had was served by some restaurant in the parking lot before a U2 concert. I can't remember the restaurant but the BBQ was great. Sorry for the lack of help.

Draft saved Draft deleted