1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My panties aren't twisted.

Other than the odd racial slur, the on-ice trash talking is never reported.

If you don't report it, people don't know about it. Tree falling in the woods kinda thingee.

If you stand up in front of national TV network and say the same thing, people then know about it and react.

That's the context. Plus of course the fact that pretty much everyone in the league would like the little puke to go away forever.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I never said he should be suspended, I don't think he should be...I don't find the comments offensive, but I can see why the league would want to take action against Avery, a player who has consistently behaved like an asshole, and he basically called a small press conference to bring attention to an opposing players girlfriend.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

She already had my attention. :)

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I've always been more of an Alyssa Milano fan. I still have the poster of her wearing the Devils sweater hanging above my bed........it drives me wife nuts.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

And once again, doesn't make it OK ... whether it's sloppy seconds, nigger, or asshole.

6. Baloo

Baloo Member

Avery made a derogatory comment, and for that he should be severely punished by the NHL via a long suspension. The Stars, meanwhile, need to use the good lawyers they have and figure out a way to void the little shit's contract for breach of acceptable conduct, something along those lines. At which point, avery should never again be heard from.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I knew there was something I liked about you.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Part of the problem is almost all the on ice stuff comes down to he said, she said, unless the trash talker is stupid enough to say it near a ref or is within earshot of a camera. Avery, again, called his own mini press conference and unloaded. There is no doubt what he said or the intent behind it.

He embarrassed his teammates, he embarrassed his employer and he embarrassed the league and for that he will be punished. Had I embarrassed my employer I would be reprimanded as well.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, we'll just agree to disagree on this.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In the "No shit, really?" news of the day, Melrose will be back on ESPN January 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3745431

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I hope he rips the hell out of the Lightning.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I doubt the Lightning are going to be worthy of any of ESPN's minimal coverage for the rest of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted