1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you add to their workload you might have to wind up giving them things like benefits.

The stringers and the part-timers were the first to go at my place. But that was well before layoffs and buyouts started.

2. Go State

Go State Member

Anybody hear names out of Lansing?

3. Mizzougrad96

This thread has made me numb. I'm sure the next friend of mine I see on this neverending list will change that, but right now, I'm numb.

4. Girlinthehood

Girlinthehood Member

FYI, and sorry if this already has been corrected, but Arizona Republic golf writer John Davis is NOT among the axed.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'll second that.

The previous round of Gannett cuts was mostly in management and production departments, at which time several former co-workers were let go. I thought it would be a long time before I felt that crummy again.

I was wrong.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's one key reason my parents stopped subscribing to the Tennessean after more than 60 years...a reporter misspelled the name of John Seigenthaler, and also got several facts wrong -- in a story about his being the legendary former publisher of the paper!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The entire noise staff, an add manager, a copy editor (a recently hired one) and Mike Hughes the entertainment columnist.

34 total.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow, that's good to hear. One piece of good news amid the carnage.

John had some health problems over the last couple of years, so this is the last thing he needed.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good news.

10. Mizzougrad96

The first good news on this thread.

11. A great quote on here from someone who got axed in Lansing:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-2402-31-laid-off-at-lansing-state-journal.html

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Terry Woster is gone in Sioux Falls. He covered the state government forever. Talk about a loss of institutional memory. He took an early retirement.

Draft saved Draft deleted