1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm sure you wouldn't normally kiss ass. But let's face it, now is the time for many to open every orifice.

2. Nope. They can take my job; they're not taking my pride.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pride won't pay bills my friend. I feel where you are coming from and I respect your decision. But when there are mouths to feed, that pride sometimes takes a back seat. That's all I'm saying.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

None taken.

I've been a part of layoffs for two different companies, now.
    This summer I got to partake in the dismantling of Scripps, and now I'm a part of the Gannett massacre. I'm never working for a newspaper again. Never. If there's any lesson to be made here, that would be it.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, they can take that, too. When I was laid off, the worst feeling was that my performance didn't matter. That there was nothing I could have done to save my job. I understood the organization was heading off a financial cliff, but the idea that I was just numbers on a ledger to someone was more than I could bear for a while. And being suddenly without a place to go and be useful every day is a hit to your pride, as well. No matter what brave face you put on, it hurts.

6. Good point, Bob. I should change that to, "They may take my pride, but I'm not handing it to them."

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Seconded. My editor admitted that they'll be taking a real hit to the quality of their section as he dropped me off today. I can take pride in that.
    I know I did my job to the best of my ability and was committed to doing it. No one can take that from you unless you give it to them.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Arizona Republic chimes in:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2008/12/editors_take_big_hits_in_arizo.php

10. Boognish

Boognish Member

Two sports reporters in that group. Another full-time golf job goes dark.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just got word no sports cuts at the C-J, but there are several positions that just aren't going to be filled.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn Hoops. I love you on here, and I've heard plenty of negative things about Zimanek too, but this isn't the time or place.

Draft saved Draft deleted