1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Definitely echo some others' comments on Siegel, one of the best of the best. Wow.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny, but I used to tell folks that I cover guys who can make, in three years time, enough money to live on for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, each year I did this job only funded me long enough to do it again next year.

Even that doesn't apply anymore. Few among us can assume many "next years."

Aside to Michael_Gee: Not sure I want to see a bunch of naked Gannett directors. Leave their stinking clothes. Take the cannoli.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm told that the Nashville Tennessean will have 78 people left in the main newsroom, once the cuts are done.
    Every department is taking a hit — sports, news, design, everyone.
    If that number is true, the Tennessean will have lost about a quarter of its newsroom employees in just a couple of days.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have known Jason for 15 years, and he's perhaps the best friend I have. Like so many others, he loved the profession and didn't deserve for this to happen. Shit, this hurts.

Stay strong, Jason. Things always work out. Somehow, some way.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Gannett should just tell the employees their master plan to have just a couple reporters on board to go with a copy editor or two and citizen journalists. What they are doing in firing the best of the best in the chain is ridiculous and hideous. C'mon 60 Minutes, get working and do a story on this piece of crap newschain.

To all of you who got replaced: Hang in there. You are just beating the rest of us by a few months. Most of us who remained in the profession did so despite knowing what pieces of human dung were in charge of newspapers. Hang in there,

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Too late. Kroft, Stahl and Safer all have been laid off.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The mainstream media doesn't investigate the media... it's why JRC has flown under the radar comparitively speaking...

8. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

I hear 28 in Pensacola. Three in sports (1 full-time copy editor/designer, 1 part-time copy editor, 1 part-time agate clerk/designer). Leaves two writers, two full-time copy editors, one part-time agate clerk/designer and the SE at a 59,000 daily.

9. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Final tally from Tuesday, according to Gannett Blog, was 655 jobs lost.

And there are a lot more coming today.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, after everything that happened yesterday, they're only 1/5 the way there? Holy Christ.

11. FWIW, Gannett is claiming the final total from the current bloodletting will be significantly less than 3,000.

Not sure I believe anything those bastards say. We'll see.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the unfilled positions may count toward the total.

Draft saved Draft deleted