1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 12 (11/17) Page 87

That's how I vote as well. Which is why I don't have Alabama No. 1 . . .

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I understand it, and I have no problem if there's some thought behind it ;) It just bugs me when people drop teams really far for a late-season loss without much thought as to who they're putting above said team in the process.

3. azom

azom Member

Fair enough. I thought about it plenty, just couldn't shake the feeling that Tech's loss to OU wasn't an accident and meebe Tech's win over Texas was. And with Mizzou at 10 and Tech at 11 for me, I don't think there's a huge difference between them anyway. Coulda gone either way, but, you know, pimp slap.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I dropped Tech way down. 65 points is just way too many to be giving up to a good team when you are considered to be a good team, too.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Which is why I don't understand why I was "jumped" for doing it, even though I went back and edited my ballot.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't drop Tech as far as some did, but I would in no way castigate anyone who dropped them way, way down.

They just got violated in all three holes.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It was partly because you had Georgia up so high, despite the fact the Bulldogs were violated twice.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 13 (11/24) Page 96

Coach isn't bad and that ain't good

Nov. 24, 2008

By SLAPPY 4428
    Pole Sniffer

You know the worst thing about men’s athletics?

Women.

Now, before all you tree-huggin, braid-the-arm-pit-hair, crunchy granola chicks start getting your undies in a knot, let me explain. I’m not just talking about all women, just certain kinds.

I’m not talking about fangurls. Hell, they’re just as important to the sports as fanbois. Someone has to be able to guzzle the coach’s sap and leave their blind allegiance at the door in support of their team. Men can’t do it all themselves – even though I know a TV-Radio guy who can be a sports animal 42 different ways in favor of the home team, drinking more than just their Kool-Aid.

I’m talking about a completely different breed of women who are bad for athletics: Family. They love you no matter what you do, they see the good in everything. Snuff your girlfriend, you’re still a good kid. Rob a liquor store? Misunderstood.

Still, they aren’t the worst ones. No, the worst ones are the ones who stick by you when times are good. Face it, a lot of athletes and coaches spend careers crafting an image; tough, stern, hard-nosed, single-minded in focus.

And in a matter of minutes, the woman you love comes along and **Dynamite goes the Boom** she blows the theory all to hell.

Let’s take the coach of our No. 1 team this week, the Alabama Crimson Tide. Nick Saban doesn’t care how he’s perceived. He wants to be that gruff coach who doesn’t have time for anyone or anything other than football and likes it that way. The Bammers loves them an image of a coach who rips into opponents and media with the same gusto.

And yet, in a matter of minutes, the woman of his life comes along and outs her man as warm and fuzzy as the other St. Nick. Yes, in a four-part interview series, guaranteed to creep the No. 4 station in the mid-Alabama market into the No. 3 spot, NBC-13 got a long sitdown with Terry Saban.

It’s not just any interview, understand. She talked about her husband. And about their relationship. And about how they courted. Then she casually dropped in that he courted her with poetry and love letters. And he makes every date seem like the first one – which I would suppose have included 8 mm game film.
    Honestly, if I didn’t have the dog in the car, I would have driven into a bridge abutment. Can you see Nick Saban writing love letters and poetry?

“Roses are red and violets are blue. You’re prettier than Perles, so I guess you’ll do.”

“Dear Terry, We’ve been together for several years and I think it’s time we took the next step. Can you pick up my Little Debbie’s? And if you get the one with sprinkles on it, I’ll marry you.”

So you see the point of my point. A perfectly good façade blown all to hell. And to make matters worse, what does he wear to his presser today? An argyle sweater.If he beats Aubie, what's next -- saddleshoes?

Now, especially with games against Aubie and Tebow coming up, he has to convince his team to bear down. Of course, what with kids being kids, they’ll have to try and stifle things like “Sure coach. We’ll tackle with shoulders and not with our arms. If you promise to be nice, we’ll succumb to your charms.”

If he doesn’t beat up a local print guy this week, he’ll be perceived as soft and that’s not what he wants to have happen this week. If he loses, it won’t be the end of the world. I mean, Saban Nation loves them a coach. And this season is a bonus, since he figured the Tide wouldn’t be contending until his guys got in there.

But if the Tide drop one of their next two games, he gives credit to the opponent instead of talking about what his team didn’t do right, you’ll know the bloom is off the rose. That his bad guy image will have the same effect on opponents and media alike – much like the deflowering of Jane Seymour in “Live and Let Die” by Roger Moore.

It will be worthless; he ain’t bad and that ain’t good.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/24/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Alabama (40) 1155 2
    2. Oklahoma (4) 1085 5
    3. Texas 1071 4
    4. Florida (3) 1069 3
    5. USC 992 6
    6. Penn State 911 7
    7. Utah 887 8
    8. Texas Tech 846 1
    9. Boise State 791 9
    10. Ohio State 737 10
    11. Oklahoma State 692 11
    12. Missouri 675 12
    13. Ball State 584 15
    14. Georgia 565 13
    15. TCU 554 16
    16. Oregon State 443 20
    17. Cincinnati 439 19
    18. BYU 306 14
    19. Oregon 269 22
    20. Michigan State 220 17
    21. Georgia Tech 209 NR
    22. Boston College 152 NR
    23. Florida State 141 NR
    24. Northwestern 131 NR
    25. Mississippi 85 NR
    Also receiving votes: Pitt 53, Western Michigan 49, West Virginia 47, Iowa 38, Central Michigan 28, California 12, Tulsa 10, LSU 7, Rutgers 6, South Carolina 5, North Carolina 4, Arizona 4, Miami (Fla.) 1, UConn 1, Rice 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder,Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty, Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing voters in italics

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I cannot believe Oklahoma is No. 2.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I cannot believe Nick Saban wore argyle.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Slappy, where does your hatred/obsession for Saban come from? Just curious.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cultivated watching him at MSU; and candidly, he's A) an easy target and B) close by. Probably wouldn't pick as much if he wasn't here.
    But I've been good for the last couple of weeks and Bama is No. 1 in our poll for the first time.

Draft saved Draft deleted