1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Editor/Writer/Photog for Alabama football website and mag

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Jan 23, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good for him!

2. turnovers

turnovers Member

Bumping this topic to ask if anyone on here has had any dealings with these Varsity Sports Media guys of late.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lotta work. Wow

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wonder if they are considering expanding this to other locations?

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't get this part of the ad:

2. Must currently live in Alabama. If you do not, please do not submit your resume for this position.

That seems very closed-minded and short-sighted. Maybe the best person for the job is just across the border? Maybe he or she has family there and was thinking about moving. Maybe he or she is already planning to move to Alabama but doesn't currently live there. There are lots of ways the best person could be from out of state.

I understand not wanting to pay moving expenses, but if that's the case, just say so. This way, it comes across as:

"You have to be an Alabama person to 'get' it."
    "Outsiders not welcome."
    "We're choosing to limit our candidate pool to current residents of Alabama. What does that say about us?"

It perpetuates a lot of stereotypes my friends in Alabama work hard to dispel and overcome.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Those VSM guys are cool cats. :) And yes, Fredrick, it *does* sound like a lot of work, doesn't it?

JD, I am pretty sure the part of the ad you question actually meant "we want someone currently living in Alabama, so that they know the terrain and will be able to get up to speed quickly ..."

rb

7. Johnny Dangerously

If that's what they meant, that's how they should have written it. As I said, it's possible someone knows the terrain and may have moved out of state a year ago but would like to come back.

It just struck me as ... well, I've said my piece. Anyway, I hope they get someone they like.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am, uh, pretty sure they still have the person they like.

rb

9. Johnny Dangerously

Great! My hoping worked!

(Just noticed it was filled. That's what happens when you read the first 10 or so posts and then only the last page of the update.)

Congratulations, Dave.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So who'd they get? :D

11. times38

times38 Member

eh, not worth it

12. turnovers

turnovers Member

Especially when they are dishonest about compensation. Stay away from these guys.

Updated: Out of respect to some working at VSM, I will clarify my last post and say that there are exceptional people at VSM that are a pleasure to work with. So if anyone wants more information, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted