1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 11 (11/10) Page 83

Three MAC teams. Booo yah.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yer killin me

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I had a case of the stupids with the first one I sent in. Edited to make (some) sense.

1. Texas Tech 1
    2. Bammy 2
    3. Texas 3
    4. Florida 4
    5. Oklahoma 5
    6. USC 6
    7. Utah 7
    8. Penn State 8
    9. Boise State
    10. Oklahoma State 12 (correcting my hypocrisy)
    11. Mizzou 10
    12. Ohio State 11
    13. Ball State 13
    14. BYU 15
    15. Michigan State 16
    16. Georgia 14
    17. TCU 17
    18. Pitt 20
    19. Cincinnati 21
    20. Oregon State 24
    21. Maryland NR
    22. LSU 22
    23. North Carolina 18
    24. Central Michigan NR
    25. Western Michigan NR

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For a laugh, my Top 10 to start the season.

1 Ohio State
    2 Florida
    3 West Virginia
    4 USC
    5 Oklahoma
    6 LSU
    7 Texas Tech
    8 Georgia
    9 Kansas
    10 Missouri

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think Florida can beat USC seven or eight times out of 11, and that's the test I use when I'm having trouble slotting teams into their places: Team A v. Team B, 11 games head-to-head ... who do I think would win the majority of the meetings?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummmmm....

Zeke?
    Spnited?
    SC?
    Angola?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Umm, at least they have voted while others who pick apart their ballots, have not...

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone still left to vote?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 12 (11/17) Page 87

Readin', writin' and make me sick

Nov. 17, 2008

By SLAPPY 4428
    Pole Barn

You know, at Poll Central we believe in giving fans their shot to speak their minds.

In the absence of fans with an absence of minds, we had to go out looking for them. So we decided to cruise some fan boards to see what the common fan had to say.

As always, there is no wagering on which group is missing a chromosome or two more than the others. So let’s call them all… ummmm… winners. (English-to-gibberish translation not included, although much thanks to the websites I’ve pirated these from.)

• AubTiger34 - due the math - you have 26 commits already - Bama has 16 with 9 to give. So are you that much of an idiot to not realize that even if we don't get another 5 star and fill out our scholarships with just 3 & 4 stars we will still pass the Barn in recruiting - - - now seeing that we will get some more 5 stars the Barn doesn't stand a chance of hanging around that peak level - especially as the other SEC teams complete their classes. Now regarding Scouts - "Scout does it as fair as possible so they will earn their rankings on Scout." - The Barn has 3445 points and Bama has 2650 points with 6 to give. As Bama adds recruits the points go up. So while your number stays the same - you have given all your scholarships out - ours goes up as well as everyone else's and the Barn starts plummeting. You really are that ignorant aren't you?
    • Let me educate you mullets once again. The tide has nine seniors on their team this year. Nine. They have 83 on scholarship right now. They can sign nine players for the ones that are leaving and they can sign two players to bring them up to 85 on scholarship. That is 11 players that can sign with the tide. They will get more than this of course because Saban will show the players the door that is not cutting it. He won't be able to cut more than four or five players. Any more than that would be a public relations nightmare. That means at most the tide can bring in 15 or 16. They have 16 now but a few of them will not qualify. I look for the tide to take about 3 or 4 more commitments at the most. Anyone want to make a bet. I know more about the tide than you mullets do. Pitiful.. War Eagle..
    • Great game bama!
      11 and 0 was a dream just a couple months ago and somehow here we are.
      Now we have 2 more games and these next 2 weeks are crucial.
      Saban started playing backup players saturday night and thats what we need to happen against auburn.
      If we can basically rest up our guys the next month we will be equal to florida and who knows.
      Im not going to concede florida..the players certainly won't.
    • THE RED RAIDERS ALWAYS HAVE A CHANCE WHEN THERE IS TIME ON THE CLOCK, NO MATTER THE SCORE.
      WE WILL NOT CHOKE, BUT HAVE TO PLAY OUR GAME AND RELAX AND FOCUS.
      RED RAIDERS-42 OU 31 WRITE IT DOWN!!! GO RED RAIDERS
      WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR TU HISTORY LESSON, DOES NOT MEAN A THING. YOU EITHER NEED TO GET ON THE WAGON AND RIDE WITH US OR GET SOME SOONERS GARB AND GO TO THEIR SITE AND HOPE THEY BEAT US AND TU CAN BACK IN IF THEY CAN WIN A ROAD GAME AGAINST KU!
      WE HAVE EARNED EVERY WIN THIS YEAR, WE HAVE EARNED THE NATIONAL MEDIA’S FAVOR. THE MEDIA ALWAYS LIKE A CINDERELLA STORY. THE BEST THING FOR WHORN FANS IS FOR TECH TO WIN OUT AT LEAST YOU GET A BCS BOWL THEN.
      GO RED RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • You Tech fans are getting ahead of yourselves here…You beat the Shorthorns then Zero State at home…OU has been beat by Tech in Lubbock for sure but how much success can you guys draw from the whippings that you have got at Owen Field. Our offense is just as potent as yours (if not more)…our defense is playing subpar but if you give Stoops and company 2 weeks to prepare, OU can beat anyone. I respect Tech (my brother is a 2004 grad and I have family in Lubbock) but don’t think that OU is scared of you.
    • biged32, your mommma called and is going to take away your computer time if you don't behave! she also said to tell you be sure to change your underpants daily. she said that makes your whole world stink. must be true since you are so negative!
    • No true Texan and/or Longhorn fan would EVERY root for an Ok team...no matter what the reason! We beat both of their teams and Texas Tech needs to do the same. Whip the aggricultural soldiers on Thanksgiving Day! Hook'em!!
    • Does OU have a chance?
      IMPEACH OBAMA!
    • The Dline is going to be one for the ages. Cunningham, Dunlap, Trattou and maybe Patchan on the edge. Sanders, Marsh, and if Davis and Brown get there acts together (I believe they will) in the DT rotation, oops and Hunter. This will be a terryfiying front 7. And the secondary.....holy crap, how good is J.jenkins going to be the next two years, hill blak major.....its an embarassment of riches. We are going to terrify some offenses next year. Probably should spot them a player and let them play with 12 just to give them a chance.

• What I want to know is whether Bama fans know that the Bear has been dead for 25 years now?
      I know that this is where you get the... yeah well it's tradition and UF has no tradition crap.
      SOS won conference championships at a faster rate than the Bear (6 in 12 years vs. 11 in 27 years) but I have never seen banners or signs or plaques with a visor on them anywhere. I won't even get into details like scholarship limits, etc.(Alabama averaged 130 players on scholarship in the 70's keeping the talent away from the other schools)
      Can we move into the 21st century in Alabama?
      Since the Bear died you have 3 in 25 years of football. Move on already.

• Really? This is what UM has become? A win over the Buckeyes is considered as a "bowl win"! Beating the Buckeyes is, in itself, its own reward that should be cherished and enjoyed. It should never be thought of as a moral victory. It should not be like a bowl win. It is what it is, a rivalry game.
      To try and equate the game to a bowl win (since UM is missing its first in nearly four decades) is depressing, isn't it? Traditions aren't built on moral victories, good losses or pseudo-quasi-not quite-bowls. Next they will want to give this game some stupid name like "Friends of Coal Bowl". Rich, you coached in that one didn't ya?

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/17/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Texas Tech (29) 1156 1
    2. Alabama (17) 1132 2
    3. Florida (1) 1040 3
    4. Texas 1038 4
    5. Oklahoma 1000 5
    6. USC 966 6
    7. Penn State 858 8
    8. Utah 857 7
    9. Boise State 792 9
    10. Ohio State 705 10
    11. Oklahoma State 688 11
    12. Missouri 656 12
    13. Georgia 568 13
    14. BYU 567 15
    15. Ball State 552 14
    16. TCU 472 16
    17. Michigan State 439 17
    18. LSU 312 19
    19. Cincinnati 303 22
    20. Oregon State 289 23
    21. Pitt 276 23
    22. Oregon 132 NR
    23. Maryland 110 NR
    24. Miami (Fla.) 104 NR
    25. North Carolina 64 18
    Also receiving votes: Central Michigan 58, Northwestern 37, Boston College 28, Georgia Tech 22, Western Michigan 22, Florida State 9, Iowa 6, UConn 5, West Virginia 4, Calfornia 3, Arizona 3, Air Force 2.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder,Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty, Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing members in italics

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Uhh, sorry for the lateness of my poll. I set my alarm for 11:30 a.m. to get up and fill it out and didn't wake up until 12:15 p.m.

Won't happen again, boss.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You overslept. Due the math!

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

LSU struggles to beat Troy and moves up? Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted