1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 10 (11/4) Page 76

I am SO far behind right now... never going on vacation again...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 11 (11/10) Page 83

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Dome

Nov. 10, 2008

By SLAPPY 4428
    World Traveler

Things I noticed over a weekend while wanting to put an ice pick through my temple on a weekend with my family (or, Mailing it in after a weekend vacation):

-- You know you’re a team in deep shit when John Parker Wilson starts running yang and backing it up.

-- The overall record of the Directional Michigans is 19-20. Central Michigan is 7-2, Western Michigan – after beating Illinois – is 8-2 and Division II Northern Michigan is 2-8. Anyone care to guess who that leaves?

-- The pilot on my first leg to Minneapolis was a dead ringer for Henry Waxman. Swore I saw him kick an old guy who looked like John Dingell in the ass.

-- Happy talk TV: I thought the Fox station in my town was a bunch of bandwagon boys. Nothing on Fox 9 in Minneapolis, who constantly used “we” in referring to the Vikings. Runner-up: Tools on the Vikings radio who constantly referred to Adrian Peterson as “Adrian” like he was family.

-- Mike Leach? There’s a collect phone call for you from Knoxville.

-- Nothing says jump off the bandwagon like Minnesota Golden Gophers football. After starting 7-1, the goofs sold out the football game with Michigan. After starting 7-2 with a loss to Northwestern, there were gaping holes in the crowd for said Michigan game. They might have actually had the 55,000 in the building, but 15,000 were cleverly disguised as empty seats.

-- Mike Gundy hasn’t had an asskicking like that since he was 12. Does this make him less of a man or just an older one.

-- Happy Talk TV II: Same boobs on Fox9, showing a shot of the Chilean president, the honorable Wazzername Whoserface, kicking a soccer ball and losing a shoe. (Yuk, yuk, yuk.) Blow-dried male anchor could not resist the obligatory “Maybe the Vikings should sign her?” I could not resist having another shot of Jack.

-- Gophers, Part Two: Drunk in the crowd spotting Ms. Slappy’s Michigan shirt and my Michigan hat at halftime: “Michigan Sucks! Two-and-seven! (clap, clap, clapclapclap).” Ms. Slappy: “16-nothing” (Clap, clap, clapclapclap). Drunk’s friend: “Dude, shut up. You got flamed by a woman.”

-- Laugh all you want, but the ACC has more teams bowl-eligible than the Pac-10, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, C-USA, Mountain West, and MAC. Georgia Tech to Detroit to play the MAC champ?

-- Wyoming? Wynonna, I can see. Wyoming?

-- Listening to talk-radio this morning on the way to the post office and catching up on the weekend. Tune in just in time to hear…
    “…10-and-0! No coach has ever won a national title with one team, then turned around, gone 10-0 and beat that team on its home field. Can yew say Bear Bryant II?”

There’s no place like home. Where the hell did I put the ice pick?

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/10/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Texas Tech (31) 1159 1
    2 Alabama (16) 1131 2
    3. Florida 1036 4
    4. Texas 1033 5
    5. Oklahoma 1001 6
    6. USC 969 7
    7. Utah 862 9
    8. Penn State 853 3
    9. Boise State 788 10
    10. Ohio State 675 12
    11. Oklahoma State 667 8
    12. Missouri 655 12
    13. Georgia 575 14
    14. Ball State 557 17
    15. BYU 555 16
    16. TCU 466 11
    17. Michigan State 398 18
    18. North Carolina 381 19
    19. LSU 354 15
    20. Florida State 250 25
    21. Pitt 202 NR
    22. Cincinnati 193 22
    23. Oregon State 113 NR
    24. Tulsa 104 24
    25. South Carolina 57 NR
    Also receiving votes: Air Force 43, Oregon 38, California 35, Central Michigan 24, Georgia tech 18, Virginia Tech 16, Arizona 13, Miami (Fla.) 11, West Virginia 9, Western Michigan 9, Minnesota 8, Maryland 7, Wake Forest 6, Northwestern 4, Iowa 4, Navy 2.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder,Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing voters in italics

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not a good time of year to have four missing voters.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think Perennially Overrated is done for the season.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially since I didn't get to it until 3 p.m. and very publicly said I was running late.

6. Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 11 (11/10) Page 83

No first place vote for USC this week?
    I shook my poll up a little and jumped Florida to No. 2 over Alabama.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm guessing that guy thought bama and tech had a coupla quality wins this week.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

What a schmuck.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey fucker, er ... well, he has his reasons.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

for any specific reason or just because there was an urge to shake it up for shake it up's sake?

11. Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- Week 11 (11/10) Page 83

There is some rational behind it.

1. I think Florida is gonna kick the every livin' ever lovin' shit out of the ol' Tide.
    2. I have been more impressed by UF's play of late. Yeah, they have one loss, but I think they are the second best team in the country and the best team in the SEC right now.
    Alabama has won, but not so convincingly.
    Auburn, UGA and LSU aren't so tough. LSU's QB being its fatal flaw. and UGA, being, .. well UGA. Auburn ... 'Bama has struggled, see UK as well.
    Top to bottom, inside and out I think the Gators are the superior team right now.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My apologies to slappy and my fellow pollsters for missing my first ballot in two years. I did not have internet access at home until this afternoon and wasn't able to get it done. It won't happen again.

Draft saved Draft deleted