1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 8 10/20, Pg. 65

Come on.

Seriously?

Or North Carolina, EF.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

West Texas State became West Texas A&M and they did play at the FCS level when they were in the Missouri Valley Conference. They dropped down to Div. II in 1985 or so.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Slappy, I owe you a great apology and to everyone else (should anyone feel so offended). I put together my list last night on the laptop, but didn't want to send unless and until Tulsa won. So you know what happened this morning... forget to get the list.

Since it's not up, I'll slap something together quick that's pretty close to what I had.

Again, my apologies.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you have 15 seconds because I am literally ready to hit the post button

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 9 10/27, Pg. 68

Oct. 27, 2008

When coaches come in, objectivity comes out

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Pusher

Hello again, everyone, and welcome to The Coach Pee Wee Runt Show. I’m your host, Tim Fawning, and standing next to me is a man who needs no introduction – a man who once again led his team to victory over a hard-fought, but inferior, opponent. There’s no finer coach in the land than this man, Pee Wee Runt. Coach? How are you?

Uhhh, fine.

Well, golly. That was just a superb win for our Enormous State team, Coach. Our boys just tried so hard and the other team was clearly outmatched.

Ummm, I guess. But it wasn’t as easy as it looked. You know, we did give up 400 yards on defense. And our quarterback Billy Bob Woodrow did throw three interceptions.

But Coach, he looked so good doing it!

Ummm, and we also – come to mention it – lost the game, 59-6. So that wasn’t good either.

Awww Coach. No you didn’t. Sure, the score might be reversed on the scoreboard, but darn it, you’re all winners in my book. That’s what makes this conference so tough week in and week out. Just want to be sure to take the opportunity to thank our sponsors – Big Crunch Potato Chips, who paid for my trip here; Buzz Cola, the best drink in the land since sponsoring us since last Tuesday. And of course, the fine folks at Amalgamated Cable, who provide digital cable, high-speed internet and that crystal clear phone service for at least 13 hours each day.

Say Coach. Some good news. Enormous State legend and NFL Hall of Fame linebacker Mabel “Unstable” Wrekless is no longer up on those homicide charges. It seems that the cops couldn’t prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the smoking gun found next to him in the car was his, because the car was stolen. So we look forward to seeing Ol’ Number 36 around campus again real soon. What an inspiration he is, Coach, to our football team. Gosh, how we love him.

Ummm, yes, Tim. You’re right. He’s a true inspiration to everyone who wears the Blue, Crimson, White, Gold and Maroon of Enormous State.

Hey fans, if you’re like me, you want to eat. And no place is finer than Dooligan’s Pub and Gri… wait that was last week… Burl Al Hamam. If you’re in the mood for some great Lebanese cooking, there is no finer place in Pigs Knuckle than Burl Al Hamam. My wife and I went there last week, the owner came over and they really treated us right. They’ve got the Jawaneh Dajaj Mashwiya. They’ve got the Warak'inab. They’ve got the mouthwatering plate of Sawada Dajaj Maqlia. They’ve got the Hommos Shawarma AND Hommos Ma'a Lahma wa snober. And of course, the world-famous, the Foul Medammas. So when you’re looking for some real, down-home cooking, or a place to head with your buddies to watch the big game, head to Burl Al Hamam and tell ‘em Coach Runt sent you.

Coach, our last segment is the viewer call-in. And this week, our carefully selected and completely spontaneous question comes from Jimmy Dawson of Gypsum.

“Coach, you are just an inspiration to all of us. You and your boys make me so proud to be a fan of Enormous State and of this conference as a whole. Every time I see your team run on the field, I could just cry.”

I know what you mean. I feel the same way. Do you have a question for the Coach?

“When you went down 35-0 in the first quarter and our quarterback threw three interceptions and our defense missed all those tackles, I think the officials wanted the other team to win. Do you feel that way too?”

I know I sure did and I'm not just saying that because the school signs my paycheck. Well, we’re out of time fans. Tune in next week to The Coach Pee Wee Runt Show!

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/27/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Texas (51) 1275 1
    2. Penn State 1197 2
    3 Alabama 1186 3
    4. Oklahoma 1055 5
    5. Texas Tech 1021 7
    6. USC 1021 4
    7. Florida 1007 6
    8. Georgia 935 9
    9. Oklahoma State 860 8
    10. Utah 849 11
    11. Boise State 724 13
    12. TCU 638 14
    13. Ohio State 612 10
    14. Missouri 590 16
    15. Tulsa 526 18
    16. LSU 509 12
    17. BYU 464 17
    18. Ball State 436 21
    19. Minnesota 365 23
    20. Florida State 347 NR
    21. North Carolina 198 NR
    22. Michigan State 194 NR
    23. Oregon 179 NR
    24. South Florida 108 15
    25. Maryland 54 NR
    Also receiving votes: West Virginia 44, Virginia 34, California 33, Georgia Tech 26, Air Force 11, Troy 9, Virginia Tech 8, UConn 8, Notre Dame 8, Kansas 7, Central Michigan 6, Pitt 6, Northwestern 5, Oregon State 5, Arizona 5, Boston College 3, Navy 3, Cincinnati 1, South Carolina 1, Fresno State 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder,Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing ballot in italics

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 9 10/27, Pg. 69

Methinks your page count is off. :)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I absolutely refused to vote for a Big East team this week. What a joke of a conference.

I'm tempted to not vote for a Big East team the rest of the season, but I can't quite commit to that in case someone, you know, displays competence.

Encouraging to see I wasn't the only dilhole who voted for Troy. I could not come up with a no. 25 that seemed to deserve it, so I figured throw the Sun Belt leaders a bone.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I voted for Troy because if there's going to be a deluge of two-loss teams that I have to vote for, a 5-2 team with losses at Ohio State and Oklahoma State was a good choice.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought that too, but their lopsided defeats--especially against Oklahoma State--gave me pause before I realized there was nobody else worthy of no. 25, either.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't really have a big problem with Troy (although I wouldn't even have them in top 35 right now if the list were that long)....but I'm never big on voting for a team based on who they lost to.

It's not about who you can beat. Hell, anybody can lose to a ranked team. If who you lose to is my criteria then Kansas is still in my Top 25, and I'm also adding Tennesee.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, Tennessee losing to UCLA closes that chapter

Draft saved Draft deleted