1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com seeking 30 interns

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Oct 8, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I wasn't aware that Target would start you off at double minimum salary.

And that's at 40/wk.

It would take at least three weeks of parttime pay to make 500.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My ol' shop hired a guy once who had one of these MLB.com internships.

I don't think it really helped him get in the door, but it definitely helped him. Spending a summer watching Dick Kaegel, Jeff Passan, Wright Thompson and Joe Posnanski do their respective things can't help but help you.

3. Dave973

Dave973 New Member

One more stupid question. (Sorry, this is the first time I'm applying)

How do I send my clips? A photocopy? The entire page of the paper?
    Thanks for the help.

4. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

make lots and lots of copies. dont send the original clip because they won't send them back to you.

a good investment would be taking your clips to a printing/copying place and getting some copies made on some paper other than standard quality. that way you'll have copies to send to other places in the future.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'd get a PDF copy of the page and print it out.

6. Dave973

Dave973 New Member

What about online articles?

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Suicide,
    They do use freelancers, so that could be the way for you to go.

And BYH, $500 would probably be slave wages for a full-timer living in a major league city, but it's not terrible for a college student.

8. turnovers

turnovers Member

PDFs are my clip format-of-choice. If your shop has PDF archives, SAVE THEM. I have all of mine on a thumb drive and backed up on a hard drive at home. It's a lot easier to use a digital stack to cull a few best clips when you need them in a hurry.

9. esport12

esport12 Member

A couple of things:

I did this internship a couple years back and it absolutely helped. One month after my internship finished I had a job in a shrinking market. They worked me like a dog, but I learned invaluable lessons that I use everyday. It's definitely not a foot in the door, but I would say it gets you up to the front of the line. Afterwards, as with any internship, don't expect the big boys to start calling.

As for clarification on Justice and Bill Hill. Justice stopped doing the recruiting last year, and Bill Hill took over. Justice still works for MLB.com and teaches.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Is MLB.com's Justice Hill the same guy who used to be sports editor of one of the Fort Wayne papers?

I sent a cold resume to FW -- I'm from the area -- out of college in the early '90s, and Justice wrote back and said that he had no positions but would love to chat about starting my career. We went to lunch, and he gave me some resources to check out.

Solid guy.

11. esport12

esport12 Member

That would be the same Justice Hill. Excellent guy.

12. Boyznblu80

Boyznblu80 Member

I applied back in November. Hopefully hear back by the end of January. I've been (and still am) covering the Jets for a website so I hope my experience in dealing with a pro sports team helps my chances. What do you guys/gals think?

Draft saved Draft deleted