1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter (Strasburg, Va.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jimmyjohns4lunch, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jimmyjohns4lunch

jimmyjohns4lunch New Member

From JJobs.com:

The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, seeks a talented, high-energy sports reporter.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on local high schools in a section that averages five pages daily. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills and an eye for the human interest stories that take the reader beyond the final score. Daily sports desk and page design experience is a plus, but we will train the right candidate.

The six-day-a-week, independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Northern Shenandoah Valley.

A resume, cover letter and at least five work samples should be mailed to Sports Editor Chuck McGill, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e-mailed to cmcgill@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This keeps popping up and I'm trying to understand why. The area isn't that bad. I know the pay isn't the greatest but there seems to be a lot of turnover. It is somewhat puzzling.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

maybe people are moving on to better jobs?

4. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

last three guys who left did so to go to better jobs, further back then that, i couldnt tell you.

5. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

and the last opening in strasburg was 18 months ago, for the record. this is a good gig with very good people. pm for details if you wish.

6. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

KaraokeC is correct. There hasn't been an opening at this paper since April, 2007. Absolutely nothing wrong here. In the past two years, reporters have advanced — as reporters, designers and copy editors — to places such as the Pilot, Washington Times, Washington Post, etc. There is a lot of stability here.

Feel free to ask questions.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Turnover happens when a paper develops talent and that talent moves on to bigger and better things. Recent college grads and young effin studs in the making would do themselves a huge favor in applying for this position.

8. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Ah, the NVD army is out in full force.

This is a great place to start your career. It's a small paper in circulation only; the pay, leadership and people you'll work with are nothing like what you typically see at a paper this size (about 16,000).

As noted, everybody in sports that left this paper in the past three years has gone on to much bigger papers and very good jobs. Chuck McGill is good people; whoever hired him was a genius. A snappy dresser, too.

If you're on the fence, don't pass up this chance.

9. Duton

Duton Member

Hey, who's leaving by the way?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just thought I would chime into the thread.

I have no connection (that I know of) to this paper, but I wanted to let out-of-staters know that this is not the Northern Virginia you have read about with traffic and crazy high cost of living.

Strasburg is country, but if you choose to live in a decent-sized city, Winchester is just up the road.

This is not a suburb of Washington D.C.

11. JackReacher

You're right, but Strasburg is growing, and the cost of living is going up at a fast rate. Winchester is where most NVD staffers have lived past and present. It's about a 15 minute drive to the office.

12. JackReacher

Bump. Just want to again encourage all the young whipper-snappers out there to jump on this if you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted