1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 6 10/6, Pg. 55; VOTERS NOTE PG 57!!

True dat... took her like 26hours to become a junior member...

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 6 10/6, Pg. 55; VOTERS NOTE PG 57!!

Mark me down. I didn't believe Illinois was a top-25 team, even after last week, so I didn't put as much weight on last week's victory as others might have. But if they continue to win ...

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

have you ever seen the rain, coming down on a sunny day?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

oh oh the curse of the new york times might next hit the gators ...

fat feature in today's sports section, page d5. sweet-ass photo of timmy and urban from late in saturday's ATM of lsu.

beware, gators, because we know what happened when the times got all lovey-dovey with east carolina 3 weeks ago...

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

We still waiting on anybody to turn in the ballots?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 7 10/13 Page 61

Fraud, or no fraud?

Oct. 13, 2008

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll E-o-e-o

That’s right fans, it’s time once again to play the weekly game America’s talking about every day – Fraud, or No Fraud.

In an effort to save time and space, we’ll skip much of the potential candidate list, like the old fart in State College, Pa., whose teams eventually take a hairy dump; or the midget in Clemson, S.C., who got the ziggy this morning in favor of a “coach-to-be-named-later,” one surely capable of leading the Tigers out of their 27-year streak of underachievement like Moses leading the 12 tribes out of the desert.

Our first contestant is a professorial fellow from the banks of the Olentangy River in suburban Dublin, Ohio, please welcome Ohio State and its coach Jim Tressel. Jim, tell us why your team shouldn’t be considered a fraud.

“Well, we played the really tough teams in Ohio well and beat one of the top two programs in Alabama. Sure we hit a speed bump against USC, but we feel that our Big Ten schedule stacks up well. We gave Minnesota it’s only loss, you know. And at least I’m not considered a genius in the spread offense with my offense ranked 109.”

True, Jim. Absolutely true. But beating Minnesota, Purdue and Wisconsin is not high praise. Still, your track record is consistent and your team does win enough to be considered. Just because we put you in games you aren’t prepared for doesn’t mean you are a fraud.

Next up, from the Cheese State and its capital city of Madis… ah hell. Save time. Fraud. And you, in the wings – Virginia Tech, Tennessee, Florida State – you go too. And wheel Fat Boy Charlie out too.

Our next contestant, the triplets from the south – please welcome Mark, Les and Urban. You know, you guys looked really bad when you lost. Urbie, you lost to a team that you had no business losing to – hold your head up and look me in the eye – but you did spank Les pretty good. In fact, I laughed when I saw it… no offense.

And Mark? There’s losing to a team you could lose to and there’s getting slapped. Sorry, but even if you win out, fraud. This Stafford guy? He’ll make it to the next level. America needs clipboard holders too.

Speaking of which… as I look down, Mr. Pinkel. At home? At least Mr. Stoops had the disadvantage of a neutral site in the opponent’s state. But you sir… directly on poit, you are no Brain.

Mr. Beamer? You again? If you just pay for the lifetime membership, we don’t have to go through this every year. Please, hold the door for Coach Willingham and Coach Neuheisel.

Some contestants still have yet to lose a round, yet you’re wondering why you are here on this stage. Mr. Leach. After you get a haircut (you’re an adult, lose the mop), you can tell us why you shouldn’t be here after fiddle-farting around with Nebraska?

Mr. Petersen, I am proud to say that after all these years, your team is not a fraud. It’s changed coaches, taken on big and small and won. When you do lose on occasion, we bury you in the polls and you come right back. Congrats, you are legit – blue turf and all.

Our final contestant has all the potential to be a fraud’s fraud. A few years ago, he was a sympathetic figure when a meddlesome trustee tried to hire someone else during the season, the media found out about it and outrage ended that plan. The next season, he went undefeated and created more sympathy by not going to the BCS title game.

This coach has always tinkered with coordinators – after the season. But last week, this coach fired his offense coordinator in mid-season. Not moved positions. Not tweaked the offense. Dumped him like a bride at the altar who found out the groom slept with the maid of honor.

Never mind his two starting quarterbacks couldn’t hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. Never mind that he brought in his coordinator for a drastic change only to bail on him, when his other good ol’ boys assistant coaches complained it was t-o-o- h-a-r-d in between bites of their barbecue. Never mind that the offense didn’t improve one bit from the week before. Or the week before that.

Nope, our grand-prize winner isn’t a school with perpetual problems, it’s a coach who gives new meaning to a classless society. Ladies and gentlemen, from Auburn, Alabama, Tommy Tuberville – this fraud’s for you. Your prize? We hope you get what’s coming to you.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/13/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Texas (41) 1214 5
    2. Alabama (7) 1162 4
    3. Penn State (1) 1130 6
    4. USC 985 7
    5. Oklahoma 982 1
    6. Florida 957 11
    7. Texas Tech 915 8
    8. BYU 857 9
    9. Oklahoma State 845 17
    10. Georgia 817 10
    11. Missouri 724 2
    12. Ohio State 682 12
    13. Utah 662 13
    14. LSU 648 3
    15. Kansas 506 16
    16. Boise State 494 15
    17. Virginia Tech 375 18
    18. Michigan State 317 21
    19. North Caroilina 305 23
    20. South Florida 236 19
    21. Wake Forest 223 22
    22. Vanderbilt 172 14
    23. Ball State 158 NR
    24. Tulsa 126 NR
    25. Pittsburgh 102 NR
    Also receiving votes: California 90, TCU 65, Minnesota 54, Oregon 36, Georgia Tech 17, Cincinnati 16, Florida State 10, Northwestern 4, South Carolina 3, Mississippi State 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder,Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing ballot in italics

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 7 10/13, Pg. 60

Yo, slap, page 61

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Back when the Shoals had an NBC affiliate, I agreed to shoot Friday night football for them on (what should have been) a freelance basis. On the opening kickoff for Week 2 at Lawrence County, Zac Fletcher broke to the sideline and I was a half-step too late to get out of the way of the tackle. Long story short, I broke the bone just below my kneecap. Still have the plate and screws. The only saving grace was that I was technically a station employee, which meant workers comp picked up all the medical bills.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So go ahead and penalize this year's team before they actually lose based on the fact that they've always lost certain games in the past? Lovely.

Too many people want to make the weekly polls a lifetime achievement thing.

No wonder so many don't take the polls seriously anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 7 10/13, Pg. 61

wah.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 7 10/13, Pg. 61

Yes. Pass the tissues, please.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

mississippi state gets a vote? really? Okay, who did their poll drunk?

Oh and also, the () is missing next to Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted