1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Valley Tribune gets hammered

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sbordow, Oct 6, 2008.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

word is the following made the cut...

Bordow, Romantic, Les Wilsey, two prep guys.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good work if you can get it.

But 99.982% of those leaving the business (forced out or by choice) can't.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Holy shit. That's stunning --- something over 40 percent.

Dude, I'm sorry this happened. And in case you haven't already, start shipping out resumes ASAP.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Steve Burks also qualifies for that Yuma-to-Mesa list. One of the best human beings I've ever worked with. I hope all three of them come out on the happy side of par.

5. the champ

the champ Member

Here is a list I was sent of those who will lose their jobs in January. Very, very tough situation for these folks.

Copy desk - Jason Harper, Bill Macomber, Terrence Walsh, Connie Hayes
    Graphics – Gabe Utasi and Scott Kirchhofer
    Photographers – Brad Armstrong, Julio Jimenez, Ralph Freso, Paul O’Neill, Tony D’Astoli
    Reporters – Jason Massad, Devon Hersom, Nick Martin, Dennis Welch, Paul Giblin, Donna Hogan, Tony Natale, Lawn Griffiths, Mary Kay Reinhart
    Editors – Bob Satnan, Patti Epler, Jim Ripley, Andre Bowser
    Web – Chris Lavelle, Phil Tortorra, Wendy Killeen
    Sports – Jerry Brown, Jack Magruder, Craig Morgan, Matt Paulson, Mike Tulumello, Dan Zeiger, Brad Sheets, Dave Argabright, Michael Taylor
    Features – Michael Grady, Craig Outhier
    Mesa clerk - Audrey Boeldt
    IT – Kate Manning

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

That's a heavy list of heavy hitters in sports that's being shown the door.

7. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

As a baseball fan, I always counted on the EVT for Diamondbacks news. It simply, IMO, had more news than the Republic. A great paper and one of the top sports sections in the country. I'm sorry to hear the news, and good luck to all.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

They're axing Craig Outhier? Damn. His movie reviews were the main reason I picked up their entertainment mag back in the day.

I hope they're not getting rid of the long-timers just to unload their (well-earned, experience-based) salaries but it seems like that's the case with many of these names.

God, I hate this industry.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They're whacking web folks? WTF?

To quote the Prophet Lewis Black, "Is anybody fucking HOME?"

There are people in the EVT executive ranks who need a heavy dose of bad karma. And fast.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ripley is the paper's executive editor.

11. sbordow

sbordow New Member

Folks, I appreciate all the kind comments about the paper and its staff. It has been a terrible couple of days. I feel like I am mourning the loss of a loved one. One of the reasons I've stayed at the paper for so long was that I was able to take pride in the product. Although we were the smaller paper in town, we busted our butts to put out the best possible product. We took pride in being able to break stories and do more than a staff our size should be able to.

Now that's all gone, and it's devastating. Every time I think about it, talk about it or write about it, I feel like throwing up.

I have always loved my job; it's what I've wanted to do since I was 10 years old. Now, I feel like I have to get out. And that saddens me as much as anything.

12. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

That's the part that makes no sense to me. If everyone's supposedly going online heavy (and Chris Lavelle had been doing a great job with that site), why the hell would you get rid of ANYONE in that department, let alone its head?

Draft saved Draft deleted