1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 5 (9/29), Page 50

MIA:
    Zeke
    Orville Redenbacher
    Mystery Meat
    Joel Hammond
    GB-Hack
    Dixie Hack
    Angola
    Amraeder
    93devil

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Sorry Slappy, I'm a moron. I woke up and tried to send you a poll just before 10, but I went into my outbox and just replied to a poll I sent last week ....... which sent my new poll to me. Just realized that. So, yeah, you got it now, but way too late.
    I'm a freaking idiot....

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. You are. Especially for taking Vandy twice

4. Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 5 (9/29), Page 50

What's that old Italian chef say ... "It'sa in there!"

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

slappy - can we start fining these guys who are tardy and collect the money for our end-of-the-year pizza party?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

One has already missed enough that his presence is no longer requested...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you got enough for a large pie and a pitcher of beer out of him before you showed him the door.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 6 (10/6), Page 55

Oct. 6, 2008
    Some big doin's in the Big 12

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Taker

Let’s face it. It’s been a while since the Big 12 has really been in the media spotlight for football.

Please, do not confuse this with being in the media’s crosshairs – something that hasn’t happened since the wide-open days of Barry Switzer and a need for fire-arms training.

We started getting a taste of it in the early part of this decade when Oklahoma came away with a 2000 BCS title. And there was this Texas thingy back in 2005 when the Longhorns scored four times as many points against USC than its quarterback did in the Wonderlic test four months later.

But by and large, the Big 12 has been… how shall we put this delicately… overshadowed by lesser lights, such as the Southeastern Conference or the Mountain West. There was a stretch of time where Oklahoma went to two-straight BCS title games and got worse in each game.

There was a time, back when Nebraska played football, that it went to the BCS title game without winning the league. Thusly inspired, the Cornhuggers lost to Miami while the actual league champion –Colorado got drilled by Pac-10 champ Oregon in the Rose Bowl (The overall 2001 season was like the fabled “Year Without a Summer” in the early 1800s. It’s the only way to explain Oregon, Colorado, Illinois and Maryland going to BCS bowls as conference champions.)

I digress.

Last season, there was a taste of the Good Old Days. OK, actually it was the Good Old Days in terms of winning, not the Good Old Days in terms of players using steroids, getting paid and Nebraska mattering.

Three teams had a shot at BCS bowls into the final weeks and only one was historically important. Texas had 10 wins and it was a bad year. And Kansas, a team that hadn’t sniffed a Big Four bowl in 40 years, won the Orange Bowl.

This year? Wow, talk about crazy. Not Amy Winehouse train-wreck crazy, but … OK. That crazy.

Five teams are 5-0 and a sixth is 4-1. Not only do Texas and Oklahoma matter, but last year’s darlings – Kansas and Missouri – have shown staying power. Mike Gundy has shown that you can be a man at 40, but it’s much nicer to be in first place at 41, and there’s even talk of a Heisman candidate from – and I can’t believe I’m writing these words on my keyboard – Missouri: the functional equivalent of a vice-presidential candidate from … oh, Alaska or something.

And as nice and fluffy as it’s been for the league to be one big happy family, where results on the field matter more than being attention whores, that is about to come to a crashing halt.

As Keith Jackson might have said, “There’s a whole buncha big uglies a comin and it’s about to get as ugly as your ugly sister getting beaten with a big ol’ ugly stick.” Or not.

This weekend matters. No. 5 Texas plays No. 1 Oklahoma in the third-annual AT&T Red River Shootout, which for 100 years was just fine as the Red River Shootout (both in and around the Cotton Bowl) until they sold their soul to the company store.

But durn it, it’s not the only important game. Fresh off a loogie to the face big win over Nebraska, No. 2 Missouri gets to host No. 17 Oklahoma State in another battle of unbeatens. Wait! There’s more! Texas Tech, ranked eighth for reasons known only to God and poll voters, gets a chance to spit-shine Nebraska, a team that had started to look good until Missouri sent it back to the stone age (another sentence I never thought I’d write in my lifetime).

And just when you thought you’d seen enough Big 12 football (a quarter of Iowa State usually takes care of that), once-beaten Kansas – getting the same respect as twice-beaten Auburn with a far-better offense – gets to host Colorado, a team that had title hopes of it own before it actually stepped on the field against Texas.

So you see! Big 12 football does matter. It is important again! And with other power teams taking a bye-week or playing State schools, this is their chance once and for all to let the nation see that the best football in the nation is west of the Mississippi.

And north of the Rio Grande. And east of the Rockies. And almost south of the Platte. North of the Platte, it still is pretty bad. But definitely east of Rich Lake. Oh, and the Reese Technology Center too.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/6/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Oklahoma (36) 1160 1
    2. Missouri (3) 1092 3
    3. LSU (5) 1081 2
    4. Alabama (2) 1043 4
    5. Texas 1002 5
    6. Penn State 909 6
    7. USC 853 7
    8. Texas Tech 832 8
    9. BYU 798 9
    10. Georgia 740 10
    11. Florida 696 12
    12. Ohio State 629 14
    13. Utah 611 15
    14. Vanderbilt 602 19
    15. Boise State 472 18
    16. Kansas 452 16
    17. Oklahoma State 385 23
    18. Virginia Tech 327 22
    19. South Florida 236 11
    20. Auburn 196 12
    21. Michigan State 168 NR
    22. Wake Forest 158 25
    23. North Caroilina 142 NR
    24. Wisconsin 93 17
    25. Illinois 87 NR
    Also receiving votes: Tulsa 79, Northwestern 78, Ball State 73, Pitt 60, California 54, TCU 31, Oregon 26, Georgia tech 22, Notre Dame 19, Kentucky 17, Fresno State 17, Florida State 13, Cincinnati 12, Arizona 8, Minnesota 3.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder, Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing ballot in italics

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mine made it by an hour.

But it was abject fail on my part to let it slide that long.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Thank you, slapman.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If BYU wins out, are they in the BCS?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great read, again, Slappy.

But ...

Auburn?! Wiscy?!

Draft saved Draft deleted