1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Golf Digest (sigh) jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I hate to use the phrase... but consider.

The November cover of Golf Digest .... Justin Timberlake.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why? I mean, I don't read Golf Digest, but what's wrong with a celebrity piece now and then if the focus is golf?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The cover's fine. But the inside stories on Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson's drunken lesbian antics at Pebble Beach, what the cast of The Hills thinks about the Fed Ex cup, and Britney Spears's meltdown at Carnoustie were a bit much.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How the hell is Justin Timberlake going to get you straighter?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

6. I've decided against answering that.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's about bringing putting back.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I got 10 extra yards off the tee from reading every golf mag story that touted 10 extra yards, my driving distance would average roughly 3.4 miles.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

November is a dead month for golf. Much of the country has played its last hole until spring, the winter vacation season is a few months away, and the pros are wrapping up.

Oh, and the GD staff is as craven as any other.

10. That might be an excuse, if they hadn't plugged an interview with Jack Nicklaus, did a feature piece on a bunch famous fucks (including Timberlake) playing golf at Augusta) a month or so ago.
    I get that golf slows down in Nov. and Dec. so why not, you know interview a golfer. Not Justin Timberlake. I subscribe to Golf Digest Not good damn Vibe.
    IJAG, you reasoning is fine, but I don't think this is now and then. It is to the point of beomcing part of every issue.
    Kindred or Yocum don't have something?
    How where are the My Shot interviews? Those are the best features in the magazine.
    How 'bout AK? Hell, the kid just bitch-slapped Sergio in the Ryder Cup?
    Interview Clark and Monty about the Europe losing the Cup while these guys sat.
    I get golf is slow, but if the mag. is resorting to Timberlake and Nicklaus to sell itself, I ain't buying.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Brilliant.

And Orville, to answer your question best I can, Golf Digest is a long-lead publication. That means the stories in the November issue were probably written in August or early September at the latest.

So AK's bitch-slapping of Sergio won't see publication until next month.

I get your disgust at Timberlake, et al and would love to see a My Shot, since I agree that's one of the best parts of the magazine.

But looking at it as a golf flack, that's a big get for someone affiliated with the heretofore sleepy Las Vegas event. And it IS November, when absolutely dick is going on other than Silly Season events. So why not throw up Timberlake. It works from a timing, from an editorial and from a craven celebrity angle.

Now, Lindsay's lesbian antics at Pebble? (scratching head)...

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I got into golf, I subscribed to GD for two years, but then I started seeing the same articles I'd read when I first subscribed. There is some truly valuable instructional articles in the mag, in addition to the pages of advertorial crud about gear and resorts, but when they did an article using some electrical thingamajig to show the pressure spots on a golfer's foot during a swing, I realized it was time to bail.

Draft saved Draft deleted