1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gridders, spikers, cagers, grapplers, harriers and other slang

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Oct 2, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hear that. A lot.

What I almost never hear is how you do de-bore the stories, and not use the word "points" 37 times in your gamer.

But hey, as long as we're cutting-edge and never use old-timer words, let's throw "points" in there 41 times.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm guessing that a lot of these terms came about for headlines at school papers where every team you cover has the same name. Instead of Podunk Wins or Eagles Win, it's a shorter version. Saying "Basketball Team Wins" or "Cross Country Team Wins" will kill any attempt at a good headline.
    I could be wrong.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what in the fuck did you just say?

4. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Here's a question: If a lefty is a "southpaw" (and you hear that term used a lot), why isn't a righty a "northpaw"?
    ???

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Most of the terms mentioned on here suck major goat ass and should never be used. They're from an era long gone. In most cases, we've advanced as a species, and terminology from the '40s should be buried or put in a museum for all of us to stare in awe.

And contributing to the suckitude, I'll add "anglers" for fisherman. What, they don't have the ability to walk like normal bipeds?

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because it was pretty common to disparage left-handers, who also were referred to plenty of times as "wrong-handers" (as well as "portsiders" and many other terms.) Nobody needed to come up with a nickname for righties -- that was the norm. It was only left-handers that needed distinguishing.

(Kind of like how nobody would ever say "the white candidate for president." Until this year, anyway, it was assumed.)

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Are the terms acceptable? Apparently so because I see most of them on a regular basis.
    Do they send shivers down my spin like a fingernails on a blackboard? Absolutely.

The two I hate most are "twirled a mound gem" and "trey."

As for anglers/fishermen, it would be kind of hard to do away with that seeing as how the driving force behind the sport is the Bass Anglers Sportsmen Society. I don't really care either way because I don't plan on writing about fishing.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And why are "southpaws" always "crafty?"

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Something you weren't going to agree with.

And I would NEVER call a southpaw crafty unless ... well, he was crafty.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why not just say portsider? ;)

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why not indeed?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Portside
    Out
    Starboard
    Home

Posh is an acronym.

When you sailed from England to Spain or Italy, you wanted to be away from a certain side of the ship due to the hot sun.

Cliff Claven will now go back to his stool.

Draft saved Draft deleted