1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friday Night Lights begins, sort of

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Sep 30, 2008.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Friday Night Lights starts tomorrow on Direct TV. Did anyone switch in order to get this? I haven't seen any details about who's coming back or anything.

I haven't seen anything about this, but if I'm D_B'ing, please delete this.

2. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Has anyone found a link to watch this online? DirecTV won't be getting my money any time soon, but I need a FNL fix.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Here's this: http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Friday_Night_Lights.html

However, it's just got season one and two as of now. Hopefully three will show up in a day or so...

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Lyla is one of the most gorgeous creatures on the planet.

And I hope Smash becomes a professional raquetball player.

5. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Finally back to football. That's what this show should be about. Another quality ep.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

my huge concern with the series bubbled up last year and is now becoming even bigger - they won't let core characters age.
    1) Riggins was a senior I thought in season one (best friends with Street since peewee football and all) and if he wasn't, he definitely was in season two. Now he's back for a third season as a senior? I know he isn't what one would call smrt, but how many years of eligibility do you get for high school football in the states?
    2) Lyla for all her brilliance is still somehow in school. I thought she was a head cheerleader and a senior in season one yet she is still there. They haven't even mentioned what year this season, I'm guessing so they can keep her there as long as possible.
    3) same goes for, I can't remember her name. Her rival, the blonde chick. I had her pegged for the same age, yet she's still there, thought for sure she was a senior in Season one and then in two.
    It's strange because they are letting some characters like the daughter, Smash and Saracen age, but others seem destined for a relapse into Dawsons Creek where they will be 28 years old and still in Grade 12.
    It's unfortunate, because I really do like the series and the rest of it is well written.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's there now. Have at it!

Beef, if you don't allow for some serious suspension of disbelief on this, no, you're not going to enjoy it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What grade these kids are in is a real flaw in the show in my book.
    In HS football it's unrealistic for a team to start a bunch of juniors and be any good. In theory Riggins and Parker should be done, Lyla should be at Vandy and Tyra should be dancing at the mens club.

I have heard that Buddy decides to become a Prius dealer when no one is buying his gas guzzlin chevys.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's about the only thing that bothers me about the show, was just hoping for some consistency in the ages. Hell it's not a bad thing to let the kids move on, bring in a whole new of kids and problems each season (of course they are worked in and then off the set over the course of three or four seasons likme they would in regular high school)
    But if it means another season of starying at Lyla and Tyra, that can't be a bad thing.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

TYRA AIN'T NEVER DANCIN' AT THE MEN'S CLUB!

SHE'S GOING TO AUSTIN!!

;)

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the show since the middle of season one. Having said that, are they aging Matt, his friend and the coach's daughter at all?

12. DuceEquitas

DuceEquitas Member

Those three are aging. Everyone else appears in an alternate universe.

Draft saved Draft deleted