1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 4 (9/22), Page 44

I've had that thought as well, but I haven't yet had a reason to just flat-out drop them down. That time will come within a few weeks, though: from late October through the week before Thanksgiving they play four consecutive Big 12 teams I put on my ballot this week.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Welp, have at it.
    1. Oklahoma
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Missouri
    5. Texas
    6. Penn State
    7. USC
    8. Auburn
    9. Georgia
    10. Florida
    11. Texas Tech
    12. South Florida
    13. BYU
    14. Utah
    15. Kansas
    16. Ohio State
    17. Boise State
    18. Fresno State
    19. Wisconsin
    20. Wake Forest
    21. Oregon
    22. Oklahoma State
    23. Vanderbilt
    24. Illinois
    25. Virginia Tech

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

1. Oklahoma
    2. Alabama
    3. LSU
    4. Penn State
    5. Texas
    6. Missouri
    7. BYU
    8. South Florida
    9. Georgia
    10. Southern Cal
    11. Florida
    12. Texas Tech
    13. Utah
    14. Wisconsin
    15. Ohio State
    16. Boise State
    17. Kansas
    18. Auburn
    19. Virginia Tech
    20. Oklahoma State
    21. Wake Forest
    22. Michigan State
    23. Fresno State
    24. Tulsa
    25. Oregon State

TCU, Clemson, East Carolina and Nebraska vacate the premises in favor of my new bottom four.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Paging Mystery Meat and Spnited...

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have had Penn State higher. The next two weeks will show if they are worthy of the top-10.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just a question for all those leaving USC in the top 10: Why?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you can name 10 other teams that you think could beat SC, be my guest ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 5 (9/29), Page 49

Letters are my bag, baby

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Encount

On this crazy, goofy weekend filled with teams rising to the occasion and others dropping trou like Ned Beatty in Deliverance, the mail bag at the Casa de 4428 filled up quickly. We tried to answer as many as we could in the space allotted…
    ----

Dear Mr. Slappy…

You are by far one of the wisest men on this board. How did you ever see USC losing to Oregon State coming on the college football thread?
    H.G. Womack
    Columbia, SC

I was far from the only one who saw that gem (unlike the magic 8-ball since dropped into the ravine), but also calling East Carolina’s ankle-grabber against N.C. State made it all the more sweet. This week’s special? Two: Iowa over Sparty and North Carolina over UConn.
    ----

You always rag on the SEC voters for being fanbois. Have you noticed that there are four Big-12 teams in the top 10 and no one is making a big deal about it?
    C. Boom
    Birmingham, AL

Yes, I have. And no one is making a big deal about it here, because no one is making a big deal about it anywhere else. Less hype is more hype.
    ----

HOW BOUT THEM BAMMERS? HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, COLLEGE BOY!
    C.H. Lovefest
    Grumpyville, AL

Interesting that you brought that up. Alabama has played well, especially when blackout referred not to the color of the Puppies clothing on Saturday night, but what the Tide did to the Doggies’ eyes. John P(U) Wilson could very well be this year’s Craig Krenzel or Eric Crouch – as long as the game plans are suited for his pea-shooter of an arm. What kills us here in Slappyland is the bandwagon jumpers. The same clods that would call radio shows at the beginning of the season and say the media is setting Satan up for failure because Bama’s ranked too high, are now walking around, clapping each other on the back and boasting “You see where we’re No. 2!”

When Bama loses, it – of course – will be the media’s fault for creating unrealistic expectations.
    ----

How come Ohio State gets no love no more no how?
    Finger T. Snap
    Columbus, OH

Bothers me too. Ohio State isn’t a bad team and got beat by the best collection of football talent west of the Rockies and without a salary cap. But voters were so sick of seeing the Buckeyes in the BCSNCBFG that they seemed determined not to let them sniff a New Year’s Day or beyond bowl unless it’s a noon start.
    ----

H-a-a-a-y! Does this settle, once and for all, that Wisconsin is now, always and forever a fraud?
    Bob Wojohooski
    Detroit, MI

Yes. Yes it does.
    ----

Didja notice where College Gameday is this week? Great tie-in to ESPN's night game, isn't it?
    V. Doria
    Songbird, CT

Always about product placement and marketing, isn't it.
    ----

Do you think Ball State is any good? Do ya, do ya, huh?
    B. Fanboi
    High Ground, IN

**sigh** Yes. In fact, I put them in the poll this week. A few people did. Beating Indiana is impressive – even if it’s Indiana.
    ----

I told you clowns all along that Boise isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Why don’t you listen?
    Stan Solo
    Station, ID

Say what now?
    ----

Did you ever think you’d see the day that Duke, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt would be 12-1? Academics and athletics CAN go together
    G. Golly Gee
    Egghead, OH

I did envision that day, yes. But I still haven’t won the lottery either and I have a better chance of that than they do of combining for 24-2.
    ----

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.
    J. Paterno
    State College, PA

Ummm, thanks.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/29/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Oklahoma (36) 1256 2
    2. LSU (6) 1179 5
    3. Missouri (4) 1170 6
    4. Alabama (4) 1152 10
    5. Texas 1075 7
    6. Penn State 973 12
    7. USC 894 1
    8. Texas Tech 867 9
    9. BYU 831 11
    10. Georgia 782 3
    11. South Florida 775 13
    12. Auburn 706 14
    tie. Florida 706 4
    14. Ohio State 623 16
    15. Utah 581 17
    16. Kansas 504 18
    17. Wisconsin 417 8
    18. Boise State 384 20
    19. Vanderbilt 322 22
    20. Fresno State 244 24
    21. Oregon 226 NR
    22. Virginia Tech 196 NR
    23. Oklahoma State 194 NR
    24. UConn 118 NR
    25. Wake Forest 86 15
    Also receiving votes: Michigan State 61, Illinois 48, Maryland 33, Northwestern 28, Tulsa 27, Ball State 22, Florida State 16, California 15, Kentucky 13, Notre Dame 13, TCU, 9, Georgia Tech 8, Mississippi 8, North Carolina 6, Arizona 4, Oregon State 2, Duke 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder, Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, Mystery Meat, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing ballot in italics

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 5 (9/29), Page 50

Great stuff.

I love the Grandpa Simpson stuff, but to credit it to Joe Pa was genius.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm a Ball state fanboi and shameless bandwagon jumper (most of the time, my Ball State football passion could be described as "limp dick"), but I maintain that Ball State won't be on my ballot until they're 8-0. At least.

In my mind, no MAC team can be included on a ballot without a win over a good BCS team until they've gone deep into their schedule.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You sound like me trying not to rank Kansas a year ago. I jumped the gun with Ball State -- I like what the Cards have done, compared to the other teams I considered at No. 25.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What team jumps out at me for being ridiculously high is Aubie... 12, no. 16-17, yeah.

Draft saved Draft deleted