1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palm Beach doings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't been on since way early in the a.m., checked back to a string of Pipeline PMs about Palm Beach.

A sampling:

PB Post is dropping the Panthers and FSU beats.

big happenings in Palm Beach I think need to be addressed. First, they are completely dropping their coverage of the Florida Panthers. Home and away. Beat writer Brian Biggane (longest in tenure on beat, there since team's second season) going to Dolphins. Also dropping FSU coverage. Tom D'Angelo now pissed because he's off to cover Sun Belt Conference FAU. Other moves: Marcus Nelson goes from FAU to preps (replacing longtimer Steve Dorsey who took buyout) and Ben Volin goes from Dolphins to Florida Gators. Also, word is no one in Miami took buyout so one of their prep guys is on the chopping block.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Those are some major, significant and depressing moves for one of the contenders in the past for "best pound-for-pound paper in the country."

Just sad to see. The Panthers are within a half-hour to 45 minutes of a lot of the Post readership. And no FSU? That's unbelievable.

3. hurricane

hurricane Member

Guessing with the new collaboration among the three down there, the S-S or Herald Panthers copy will end up in the PBP.

4. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

D'Angelo can't be happy, but I bet Nelson isn't either. That guy worked his way up from preps to cover FAU from the beginning of that program. Now he's bumped back to preps based solely on buyout roulette.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Heard 1HP is eliminating its national baseball writer position (writer will move to another beat if he doesn't take the buyout). If so, it's only a matter of time before the three papers tag-team the Marlins. That's by far the most expensive sport to cover. Makes sense on Panthers as well, which attracts even fewer casual sports fans/readers/all mighty clicks.
    Now, as another former 1HPer said, if they start sharing Dolphins, you know the end is near.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Gators have always been far and away the biggest college beat there, at least since they became good. Always seemed like a stretch to have a staffer who lived in West Palm cover FSU full time (at least the Gators beat writer lived in Gainesville all year). Money just didn't make sense. If they can find a good freelancer who covers the team almost full-time, they'll be fine on that beat.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And Miami becomes San Francisco. A great three-paper area becomes a fuckfest. Niiiiiiiiice.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Live north of WPB area... the Post is now useless unless you're in the city... Ben is a good guy, good writer... young 'un moving up the ranks fast, possible now I guess cause all the old ones are taking a hike, or being taken on a hike.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Also at Palm Beach: Columnist/tennis writer Charles Elmore go to Metro. So does the outdoors writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted