1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 3 (9-15), Page 37

Forgot.. am missing Huggy too -- again.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 3 (9-15), Page 37

Just PMed mine in.

And I'm giving props to LSU. Unlike others.

Will post more later. Gotta work. Dang work.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 4 (9/22), Page 37

Sept 22, 2008
    The spirits are about to speak

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Tax

At this point in the young football season, it’s time to take stock of a few things.

We know that USC has had as many bye weeks as they have games and that Toledo’s Tom Amstutz confused balls for belly in his decision to go for the two-point conversion against Fresno State in the second overtime.

But of 119 teams in the division formerly known as IA, there are 92 teams with a record formerly known as undefeated. We would use perfect, but there’s perfect to the good and perfect to the bad (**cough, cough, Ohio U, Rutgers, Washington**).

This is meaningful stuff. We’re a quarter to a third of the way through the regular season and people need to assess their teams chances of going undefeated – by hook or byu crook.

For example, there are seven unbeaten teams in the Big 12, which means there are some really good teams or really crappy scheduling. Not all of them will go unbeaten. There is exactly one unbeaten team in the ACC, which means there are some really good teams or… ah hell, I can’t type that with a straight face.
    And so you really know you’re in Davy Jones’ Locker and down is up, the top of the big ten is Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern and Wisconsin, whose combined opponents have a record of something like the 1962 Mets.

Now, most of the field will sort itself out, through playing each other (Alabama-Georgia), getting upset (Wake Forest at Louisville) or just getting so caught up in the moment that it goes brain-dead (Colorado at Florida State).

Others will take a little longer – if at all. But with a keen, objective, rational eye (Hey, back off! Who’s leading the Yahoo pick ‘em league? Yeah. That’s right. Uh-huh), we’re presenting our best guess as to which teams could finish the regular season with an index finger raised high and which ones will slip a digit.
    Actually, in the spirit of crossing out fingers (and legs), we went to that old standby – the Magic 8-Ball – and the question was simple: “Will this team go undefeated?”

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FREAKIN’ MIND: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State

REPLY HAZY, TRY AGAIN: Missouri, Wake Forest

YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT: Utah, Wisconsin

MY SOURCES SAY NO: Ball State, Texas Tech.

DON’T COUNT ON IT: Northwestern, LSU

HA HA HA HA HA: Minnesota, Vanderbilt

BETTER NOT TELL YOU NOW: South Florida, Boise State

CONCENTRATE AND ASK AGAIN: UConn, Penn State

SERIOUSLY. ARE YOU ALWAYS THAT DUMB: Colorado, Kentucky

CANNOT PREDICT NOW: Tulsa, Alabama

FORGET ABOUT IT: TCU, BYU

I HAVE MY DOUBTS: Georgia, Oklahoma

ASK AGAIN LATER: Texas, Florida

IT IS CERTAIN: USC

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/22/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. USC (46) 1269 1
    2. Oklahoma (2) 1177 2
    3. Georgia (2) 1147 3
    4. Florida 1113 4
    5. LSU (1) 1085 6
    6. Missouri 1077 5
    7. Texas 938 7
    8. Wisconsin 871 8
    9. Texas Tech 778 10
    10. Alabama 769 12
    11. BYU 749 13
    12. Penn State 728 14
    13. South Florida 632 16
    14. Auburn 616 9
    15. Wake Forest 560 18
    16. Ohio State 558 17
    17. Utah 451 20
    18. Kansas 421 19
    19. Clemson 250 23
    20. Boise State 227 NR
    21. Illinois 219 21
    22. Vanderbilt 170 NR
    23. East Carolina 162 11
    24. Fresno State 131 24
    25. Texas Christian 127 NR
    Also receiving votes: Oregon 90, Oklahoma State 62, Virginia tech 50, Colorado 37, Nebraska 30, Michigan State 24, California 13, Tulsa 8, West Virginia 7, Minnesota 7, UConn 6, Kentucky 4, Tennessee 4, Arizona 3, Ball State 3, Georgia Tech 1, Arizona State 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder, Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, Mystery Meat, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.

Missing ballot in italics

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 4 (9/22), Page 44

Slappy, another week, another fine write-up. But there is one thing -- you've got Arizona State ranked No. 25, then with one vote in "also receiving votes." I'm guessing the Sun Devils aren't ranked 25th this week.

EDIT -- Looks like you've got it now.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was glad he caught that. It made less sense than all the Fresca sigs.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They were really really good in the loss.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I did have Alabama lower than South Florida a week ago.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Tennessee is still getting votes?
    WTF?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That member admitted a rushed ballot and will work harder next week...

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

He better if he wants to earn a scholarship.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Really?

Not the ASU I saw. Maybe Appy State played the Bulldogs as well, and I missed it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was a joke to make light of my screw up...

Draft saved Draft deleted